First post, Coal chute placement

Shamokinfolk
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil

Post by Shamokinfolk » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 11:59 am

Hey ya'll,
I have a keystoker oil/coal stove/boiler burning rice coal. I much prefer coal and avoid oil if at all possible. My one issue is this: my coal bin is about 6-8' away from the coal door on the front-most wall of my porch. The space between the bin and the door is occupied by a roughly-hewn tunnel through cement and rock that I would estimate is pitched at maybe a 20* downward angle. The guy who I have delivering my coal has an auger that allows him to get the coal through the tunnel and into the bin, however he is not the cheapest in my area. The problem is that no one else in my area has such an auger, so if I were to get coal from them, I would need to take in into the basement in bucketloads as the coal can't just slide down a chute. My question is this: what can I use to line the tunnel, so that I can slide it through without the need of an auger. I'd estimate that the tunnel is about 8"-10" tall and about 1.5' wide. I was thinking of maybe laying an aluminum trough/channel in the tunnel to let the coal slide on/in, but I would welcome any suggestions/tips that might work better in its place.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Oct. 24, 2018 2:11 pm

I don't think 20 deg is a steep enough angle for it to slide on its own. You could try lining it with tyvek, might be cheaper to try than aluminum would be. I use tyvek on the plywood in my coal bin but the angle is closer to 45 deg. Its been 3 years at least (can't remember for sure) and its still holding up.

panhead9

Post by panhead9 » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Maybe a piece of 8” pvc pipe? Possibly cut in half lenghth wise? Not too sure with your lack of an angle though, maybe someone on the basement pulling it down with a makeshift rake to fit the pipe as you dump with buckets?

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”