wifi thermostat data

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Mar. 14, 2018 10:56 am

So I installed a Honeywell wifi thermostat last fall. I get an email from them with a summary of the months usage. Thought it was kinda interesting. Here's what it showed me for January and February of this year. A 36% decrease in use for February compared to January.
hnywellstats.JPG
.JPG | 952.1KB | hnywellstats.JPG
This pertains to my air handler running in heat mode and not to the number of hours the boiler fired. I'm going to install an hour meter on the boiler for next season then I can compare.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Mar. 14, 2018 10:56 am

coalkirk wrote:
Wed. Mar. 14, 2018 10:56 am
So I installed a Honeywell wifi thermostat last fall. I get an email from them with a summary of the months usage. Thought it was kinda interesting. Here's what it showed me for January and February of this year. A 36% decrease in use for February compared to January.
hnywellstats.JPG
This pertains to my air handler running in heat mode and not to the number of hours the boiler fired. I'm going to install an hour meter on the boiler for next season then I can compare.
F'ing sideways pic! Sorry.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Mar. 14, 2018 11:33 am

Interesting data....I had to think about it but I guess Feb was warmer than Jan this year. There were a couple 70* days thrown in there when i got the oil changed on the car and did a shut down / clean out! All I know is it's time to top off the coal bin for the year and free up a little more space in the pole barn by shrinking the pile out there.

Hmmmm.....I could replace the stoker 'stat with one of those 'stat's and then I could retire my run time analog clock. :yes: Except then the guys in the black copters would know how much coal i was burning. :no1:
20180314_112833.jpg
.JPG | 44.3KB | 20180314_112833.jpg
Fun with statistics manipulation...
You could also say you had a 55% increase from Feb to Jan in heating time...
or a 5.7% decrease in OFF hours from Jan to Feb :o Wait....How'd that happen with more heating time?? :eh:

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Mar. 14, 2018 11:59 am

Ha! Lies, damn lies and statistics! You can support two different arguments with the same statistics manipulated differently for sure.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”