Chimney deterioration

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 8:06 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 9:53 pm
Why not leave the bricks alone & just drop something into that top 5-6 ft & break up all the liner,then slide new liners down to replace those.?
If the original brickwork is in good shape, that is a good idea. Sadly by the time the teracota is shot the bricks usually are too...or at least the flashing is in need of attention.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 11:57 am

However you proceed, do not go with a PV water heater. My current house is nearing 20 years old and had one of 'those' installed. I'd hate to tell you how much money I've thrown at the PV systems but it'd cover the chimney repair easily.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 8:20 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:
Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 11:57 am
However you proceed, do not go with a PV water heater. My current house is nearing 20 years old and had one of 'those' installed. I'd hate to tell you how much money I've thrown at the PV systems but it'd cover the chimney repair easily.

I work in the trades and have installed many power venter water heaters. They are only in the low 80s for efficiency but I have my oil water heater tuned to 78%. So fuel price is basically a wash. The oil water heater however has incredible recovery time. It is the only oil appliance I have anymore and will only burn 1/4 a tank a year of fuel. Are you saying you find the power venters plow through fuel or you have had a lot of mechanical issues? I have always installed Rheem's.

I will talk to my friend who is a mason and see about different options in the chimney. I have no idea how long the terracotta has been trashed. I also cant see down in there enough to verify if the bricks are shot too or not. :annoyed:

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 11:29 pm

BlackBetty06 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 8:20 pm
I work in the trades and have installed many power venter water heaters. They are only in the low 80s for efficiency but I have my oil water heater tuned to 78%. So fuel price is basically a wash. The oil water heater however has incredible recovery time. It is the only oil appliance I have anymore and will only burn 1/4 a tank a year of fuel. Are you saying you find the power venters plow through fuel or you have had a lot of mechanical issues? I have always installed Rheem's. ...
No problem with either fuel (propane) consumption or PV reliability. Our well is in granitic niece and is acidic. I have a neutralizer/softener in the feed. However the tanks only last 6-8 years and start to leak. First a Bradford White, 2 x A O Smith (one warranty), and now last month a Bradford White again. I haven't seen any with a separate anode, the anode is integrated in the feed (?) line. Have you replaced anodes?

I had installed a used and thrice moved oil fired 30 gal Rheem at my old house. Super water heater.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 7:22 am

Yes I have replaced anode rods before. We have very hard water where I live and they get chewed up pretty quick. I have always had the best luck with Rheem water heaters whether they are gas oil or electric. My water heater I have currently is a Bradford White Aero series oil fired water heater. 30 Gallon tank with 123 GPH recovery rate. The unit is from 1998 and I cant believe it still works. THat being said, when It dies Im debating replacing it with another oil unit or installing a propane power venter and freeing up that chimney for another use. I love the power of that oil water heater :clap:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 10:32 am

:idea: Rheem makes 80 gallon electric HW tank all spun fiberglass and no steel at all, brass nipples, super insulated and no anode ever needed...lifetime tank. $999,00 but one and done. NO CHIMMNEY/NO VENT :)

What does the "Fuel Calculator" show you...and then factor in that you never replace heater again. Pay now or pay later. ;)
:idea: Mineral issues are minimized by setting no higher than 120*F

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Thread drift ,,,
McG - you don't have to convince me! That $1,200 Marathon is cheaper than the PV Propane D-W installed price.

Chris (009to090) had the Rheem you describe when he was living in NJ. I got to see his installed. I considered it but back then I had a son and tween age daughter devouring DHW. I was unsure of the Marathon's recovery rate. Propane's recovery rate was never an issue. Recovery is nearly as close at the oil fired Rheem I had. BTW, that oil fired unit would get hotter as you used it. I kept bees and would crank it up a bit and hose off beeswax that melts at 140*. It never missed and was not too expensive to operate. I whyed it into the same chimney as the oil fired boiler. Tile and block chimney is still there and working since the early 70s.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”