switching coal

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 8:31 pm

brought in the last 2 hods of locally sourced Blashack bulk nut tonight, that will do both tomorrow during the day and night.

i also brought home the first of the Lehigh bulk nut in 7- 5 gal. pails. this will get me thru the week end while i break down and re-purpose the 3 ton bin in the garage, rearrange things in there and get ready to fill up the pick up bed and just park it inside as a bin.

closest calculation of use by 5am Sat. will be 2.5 tons. the -20* stuff and yo-yoing to the 40's and 50's this yr has cost a little more than steady running but we are also experimenting with humidity and using the windows more than ever.

can't wait to get into this Lehigh for the first time since the early 90's.

steve

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 9:10 pm

I think you will be happy. Burns hot, long and less ash. If there is a down side, it would be that it takes longer to light than the blaschak.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 5:07 pm

You've had 23 tons of Lehigh coal on hand and haven't used any yet? You are a very patient man, Steve ;) I've been very pleased with my Stove size Lehigh. In my opinion the "Blues" are a little less prominent than other coals I've had in the past, but I think that's due to slightly less volatiles in this particular coal. The upside to that of course is less puff back potential. Other than that the heat and lower ash content are superior. I also haven't found any foreign objects in the fire box or ash such as slate or clinkers. Personally I feel it's about as perfect as you can get for a home heating anthracite.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 10:07 am

i had 3850# of the blashack left from what i bought for the '16-'17 heat season and need the space in the garage i've been storing it in so i just stuck with it.

i burned alot of Lehigh from 88-93. was real happy to shake the stove down this morning and fill the hopper with it again. don't really expect any surprises but will report how it goes.

steve

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 10:11 am

KingCoal wrote:
Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 8:31 pm
brought in the last 2 hods of locally sourced Blashack bulk nut tonight, that will do both tomorrow during the day and night.

closest calculation of use by 5am Sat. will be 2.5 tons.

need to make a correction here, total Blashack use ended up being 1.925 tons (3850# )

steve

Dakotaguy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520 highboy
Coal Size/Type: Lots of rice from Lehigh
Other Heating: Pops 2010 df 520 stoker

Post by Dakotaguy » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 8:30 pm

Our entire family and friends burn exclusively Lehigh rice and never any complaints always clean no junk in it sometimes we spend a month of Saturday’s filling bins there are 14 of us not including some that get it delivered best coal in our opinion

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 3:58 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 5:07 pm
You've had 23 tons of Lehigh coal on hand and haven't used any yet? You are a very patient man, Steve ;) I've been very pleased with my Stove size Lehigh. In my opinion the "Blues" are a little less prominent than other coals I've had in the past, but I think that's due to slightly less volatiles in this particular coal. The upside to that of course is less puff back potential. Other than that the heat and lower ash content are superior. I also haven't found any foreign objects in the fire box or ash such as slate or clinkers. Personally I feel it's about as perfect as you can get for a home heating anthracite.
ditto...

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 7:41 pm

finally got around to getting ready to break down the garage coal bin by getting there and sifting 3- 5 gal. buckets of nut out of the fines.

also came up with 1- 5 gal. bucket of very small fines. this was the result of putting 3 ton in there using 2 of it and adding 2 more and using it all up, so i guess out of 5 tons that's not too bad for left over fines.

on my way to getting the front 2/3's of my garage back :shifty: :oops:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”