Chimney Flue Pre-heat

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 10:59 am

I set the Chubby up in the main room on the ground floor and moved the wood stove that was there down to the basement. The two flues share the same chimney. The first time I fired the wood stove up in its new location I filled the house up with smoke. Never having used this flue I thought there might be something blocking it. Cleaned this flue out with a brush and tried firing the wood stove up again with the same result. Confident of no blockages, I tossed some newspaper into the stove and let her rip. Preheating the chimney flue isn't something I've ever had to do before but it seems on this flue it's a must.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 11:24 am

My old Buderus 3115 had a removeable door in the top back of the hopper where you could put newspaper, lite it and get a draft going before lighting the stove. It worked really well, usually on piece of lightly balled up newspaper is all it took. Sounded like a blast furnace as it got going and then would suck the burning newspaper out. Never saw evidence of the burnt paper :what:

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Depending on what the temps are when I fire up the first time it is possible for some backdraft on my set up until things warm up. I'd hear about it for a hint of smoke smell since clothes are usually hanging on the line down there. :roll: So I always take the baro out and set a heat gun and/or hairdryer in the flue pipe for a few minutes to encourage the draft direction before firing up. I can tell on the manometer when its good to go.

keegs

Post by keegs » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 2:42 pm

The basement was pretty cold. And when I removed the stove pipe to clean the flue I could feel cold air coming from the thimble and dumping into the basement.

I don't have a barrow on this setup and I suppose I should. I only plan to use the wood stove when it's really cold. Together with the Chubby the house warms up quicker.

Been using the other flue for almost 10 years and never had to preheat the flue (and it's in the same chimney) and I'm not sure why this one needs it.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 3:09 pm

NO BARO WITH WOOD BURNER!!!!!

keegs

Post by keegs » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks Windyhill.

The wood stove is a VC Resolute... has manual damper built in to the back of the stove.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”