My Coal Bin is Thirsty

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Dec. 25, 2017 9:54 pm

I've been having an issue with coal dust this heating season. It seems that as I take coal from the bottom of the pile I have a coalvalanche occur at this point as I start getting into the bin.

Coalvalanche - coal avalanche, (verb) a mass of coal falling rapidly down the side of a pile

So, to remedy the plume of dust resulting from the coalvalanche I've been giving it a little sprinkle once a week with the garden hose. Just enough to make the top few inches damp. I've been blowing a lot less black out of my nose so I think it's working lol. Thought I'd pass it along.

It makes the coal sparkle too :lol:

Attachments

20171225_213428.jpg
.JPG | 532.2KB | 20171225_213428.jpg

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Dec. 26, 2017 1:51 am

has it been a while since the bin was emptied?
i will get my rice coal oiled next time, i never tried it that way but i hear it helps keep down the dust.
i do notice that the furnace filters come out black now lol. i got a bunch on clearance at home despot.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Dec. 26, 2017 10:20 am

No, the bin hasn't ever been completed emptied, but I do empty the spot directly under the coal chute door every year where fines and small pieces tend to be concentrated.

In an attempt to be fruitful I've tried waste motor oil to coat the coal with. It worked but made my basement smell like an auto mechanics garage lol. I don't recommend it.

Jfreethy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystone Koker Lite
Coal Size/Type: Oiled Rice
Other Heating: propane, and electric

Post by Jfreethy » Wed. Dec. 27, 2017 7:56 am

The oiled coal I've used in the past has had basically no dust. Also it dose no dry out.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”