Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Sep. 07, 2019 10:01 pm

rodhotter wrote:
Mon. Sep. 02, 2019 8:08 pm
i have yet to use any connecting pipes from stove to chimney last 3 years, even duravent single wall stainless of questionable grade!! i heat 4 to 5 months + remove pipes ASAP after shutdown + it got an xtra year. i now clean + store in a hot attic after spraying WD40 on them. my harman is in a basement kitchen which is humid at times for sure, so gonna try the heavier heat fab pipes this year + glad its only 4' up + 4 ' over with 2 ells!!
One or both of the ells could be replaced by a tee with the 3rd end capped or plugged to allow access during cleaning, be it mid season or end of season. :)

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Oct. 01, 2019 1:00 pm

rodhotter wrote:
Mon. Sep. 02, 2019 8:08 pm
i now clean + store in a hot attic after spraying WD40 on them.
What do you do to "clean" them?
How good do you manage to spray WD40 on the interior of the pipes?
Note I am just curious how others are doing things not suggesting you or anyone is doing something wrong.

I had seen the manual of one manufacturer that said to oil the flue, so I asked how they proposed to apply it. There response was to soak rag and wrap around a flue brush. I had already assumed that would be the best method for a full reline.
As for smaller rigid sections, I imagine you could fill a plastic container about an half inch deep and submerge just the edge lengthwise and rotate to get an even coating.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Oct. 01, 2019 2:55 pm

I actually take mine out side and spray them out with the hose. Then with a warm soapy cloth I'll reach inside and wash them. After that rinse again, and finally let them bake in the sun for a few hours to dry thoroughly. I'll store them in the attic for the summer. It helps a lot but they still get a little rust.. I dont use any oil, but I'm betting it'd help even more.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Oct. 01, 2019 10:59 pm

Lightning wrote:
Tue. Oct. 01, 2019 2:55 pm
I actually take mine out side and spray them out with the hose. Then with a warm soapy cloth I'll reach inside and wash them. After that rinse again, and finally let them bake in the sun for a few hours to dry thoroughly. I'll store them in the attic for the summer. It helps a lot but they still get a little rust.. I dont use any oil, but I'm betting it'd help even more.
No soap but lots of water, then blow the pipe out with compressed air, and a final coating of Fluid Film, stand them up in a card board box in basement with dehumidifier at 45 percent. Would use attic if not for the mounted high quality probe thermometer, rather not stress out the thermometer bimetal strip in the attic heat.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”