Bit coal stored in basement or outside

fizban
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 77B
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400B
Coal Size/Type: Bit various sizes
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by fizban » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 1:54 am

Hello everybody,
I have an add-on hot air wood/coal furnace in my basement that I'd like to heat with instead of my oil furnace. I've already purchased a ton of lump bit coal. Most of the coal varies from about 3" cube up to basketball sized.

I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the possible issues to put in a bin in my basement or just store it outside. It is currently in a large cardboard box that I probably could store behind my house if need be. I have a partially below ground window close by my stove under which I could construct a small bin and dump the coal through for inside storage. I'd kind of like to have the coal inside during the winter, but not sure if it is worth the dust to put it in the bin.

I'd thought of building a fairly tight bin and either running a shop vac or fan while loading to help pull any dust outside. Does bit coal make alot more dust than hard coal? I am planning on running a furnace filter on the wood stove and also pulling air from the main floor to heat to try and reduce the amount of dust getting to the upper floor.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 7:39 am

It's much nicer having the coal inside if you have the space. Dust from the ash is usually more of a problem than dust from the coal. At least that's my experience with it.

What model furnace will you be using?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 9:05 am

Bit coal is subject to spontaneous combustion under some circumstances. The explosion of the battleship Maine in Havana harbor is now thought to be from the coal on board.

So read up on the subject to store safely.

fizban

Post by fizban » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 12:50 pm

It's actually an englander 28-3500. It doesn't actually have shaker grates, just some slots underneath for the ash to fall through. I've burned some smaller coal in it in the spring and it seemed to do okay. It is what came with the house when I bought it. I'm planning to burn wood during the day and coal at night for the long burns and maybe any smoke won't be much of a nuisance.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 6:15 pm

franco b wrote:
Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 9:05 am
Bit coal is subject to spontaneous combustion under some circumstances. The explosion of the battleship Maine in Havana harbor is now thought to be from the coal on board.

I've also have seen a documentary on the Titanic about a coal fire too

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/worl ... ml?mcubz=0

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 8:01 pm

Fortunately,Fiz,We don't do Fear here,We just do facts !

For the many years way back in 'Da Day,all Coal types were stored inside,where used. The Fine Gentlemen posting above,however,are very correct ! Get to know Your Bit Animal. Bit's just got a whole bundle of volatiles. It's radically different from Hard Coal(Anthracite). I'd Respect it. If You can create a bin situation to keep it dry,but away from structures,it'll be alot safer. When I worked at the Dirt Burner(Coal Fired Power Plant),Our Reserve Coal Pile was constantly being groomed to keep air pockets out,and the threat of spontaneous combustion down...... You decide,but I've got a funny feeling that You'll get in touch with Your Inner Coal Wildman and come up with a Convenient System to feed Your Lil 'Ol Heat Monster !

Happy BTU's,Mate !!

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Sun. Oct. 01, 2017 11:32 am

franco b wrote:
Sat. Sep. 30, 2017 9:05 am

While true, this is an issue with industrial storage of bit coal. Like thousands to millions of tons of stored bit coal that will degrade and spontaneously combust. Your average homeowner burning bit will likely never ever approach these conditions.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 8:48 pm

NJJoe wrote:
Sun. Oct. 01, 2017 11:32 am
While true, this is an issue with industrial storage of bit coal. Like thousands to millions of tons of stored bit coal that will degrade and spontaneously combust. Your average homeowner burning bit will likely never ever approach these conditions.
Finally someone is making sense.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 9:16 pm

It was fairly common to have coal fires in the coal bunkers on steamships back at the turn of the last century. IIRC, the Titanic had a bunker fire when it left on its maiden (and last) voyage.

fizban

Post by fizban » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 10:52 pm

Yeah, I believe I heard that affecting the ship's structure was a major factor in the sinking. Though I expect they had hundreds of tons onboard. I've read that one needs enough coal to insulate and keep the heat in, yet enough air permeating through to allow the combustion. If anything, I'd expect you would smell it long before it was a major issue. I still have not moved the coal inside, it is in a large box outside in my truck for now.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 12:22 am

The Titanic held about 6,000 tons of coal , burned 34 ton an hour and dumped about 100 tons of ash per day in the ocean.

My guess is your inside coal bin will be a little smaller which should drastically reduce the chances of a fire created by spontaneous combustion. :D

Paulie

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”