Where to place offsets

oldmillburner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman mysterio model
Other Heating: Century 244 wood burner

Post by oldmillburner » Fri. Sep. 01, 2017 10:48 am

I am replacing a woodstove with a Harman CW30 coal/wood burner this season. It is larger front to back than my woodburner. When I did the chimney installation and hearth I went 4 inches beyond clearance to combustibles requirements. Nonetheless, the hearth will have to be lengthened or I can go with offsets and a back shield, which I am considering. If I do this, should I place the offsets at the flue exit, a foot or so above the stove, or just prior to going through the ceiling? The stove sits in an open area that was previously a corner but we took down a wall to create an open floor plan. I have not yet decided on tearing out the hearth or not. I don't want the stove to protrude too much into the room. I have 9 foot ceilings and the stove is about 3 ft tall. pick shows woodstove install with corner wall still intact. Thanks for any insight. Joe

Attachments

chuckles in front of the fire.JPG

woodstove install

.JPG | 95.7KB | chuckles in front of the fire.JPG

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Sep. 01, 2017 1:39 pm

I would use shielding where required.
Remember shielding can be placed either on the wall or on the stove, or any place in between.

By offset I understand that refers to the smoke pipe. I would use shielding on the smoke pipe. Slit a length or more of smoke pipe in half lengthwise and attach to the smoke pipe spaced out one inch. Can be used over and over when the smoke needs replacing.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”