Why so hard to find electricians

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Fri. Aug. 11, 2017 3:51 pm

From a Kline Tool Study: More Experienced Electricians Leaving The Field

https://www.impomag.com/data-focus/2017/08/study-more-experi ... tion%3dtop

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Aug. 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Companies that do drug testing as a criteria for employment are rejecting 40 percent or more of applicants on this basis alone.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Aug. 11, 2017 4:36 pm

A fifth of the country is on opioids, alcoholism is way up as is pot smoking. Companies have to test for these or not get insured. Who needs electricians anyway? Red is ground yes Rob? What happened to Yanche?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Aug. 11, 2017 11:43 pm

Every electrician I ever knew of wanted to remove someone's "shorts"!
.GIF | 37.1KB | avatar873_1.gif

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Aug. 12, 2017 8:26 am

McGiever wrote:Every electrician I ever knew of wanted to remove someone's "shorts"!
At least, check them out.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Aug. 12, 2017 10:16 am

I blame social media and brainwash tv on the decline of skilled labor. If your not in a suit and tie for a job you have failed is the horrible message I see portrayed. They don't advertise the opportunity folks have with a good strong set of skills. 6figures can be made with skills and be being blue collar ;)

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Aug. 12, 2017 9:20 pm

Down here it is "Pedro" doing the wiring and the plumbing and....well you know....they can't speak good english let alone know the code. I am NOT kidding.

Kevin

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 12:23 am

KLook wrote:Down here it is "Pedro" doing the wiring and the plumbing and....well you know....they can't speak good english let alone know the code. I am NOT kidding.

Kevin
But that is such a Bargain, No?

or as I say, Hose A and Hose B ;)

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 6:48 am

anthony7812 wrote:I blame social media and brainwash tv on the decline of skilled labor. If your not in a suit and tie for a job you have failed is the horrible message I see portrayed. They don't advertise the opportunity folks have with a good strong set of skills. 6figures can be made with skills and be being blue collar ;)
And lets not forget that everyone should go to college, it's the only way to get ahead in this world. Spend stupid amounts of money that you can't afford to pay back so you too can be a flipper at McDonalds.

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 11:57 am

There's been a huge premium placed on a bachelor's degree since the GI bill after WWII. Since the later 1980's, too much so to raise the costs to current levels. I see kids now coming out pf a 4 year degree program with 100k in loans that will take them decades to pay off. It's hurting the ground floor of the economy. There's other threads about this condition being the next bubble to burst.

Edit: I left this thread and read some emails, one that listed college grad earnings after 10 years from 35 New Jersey colleges (my state). It doesn't say where they earned their living but it ranges from $33,500 for a county college grad to $83,700 for a Steven's Institute grad. Who knows what they had to borrow.

What can a skilled tradesman make? I guess within this range?

These 35 N.J. colleges have the highest-paid grads

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 5:47 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:There's been a huge premium placed on a bachelor's degree since the GI bill after WWII. Since the later 1980's, too much so to raise the costs to current levels. I see kids now coming out pf a 4 year degree program with 100k in loans that will take them decades to pay off. It's hurting the ground floor of the economy. There's other threads about this condition being the next bubble to burst.

Edit: I left this thread and read some emails, one that listed college grad earnings after 10 years from 35 New Jersey colleges (my state). It doesn't say where they earned their living but it ranges from $33,500 for a county college grad to $83,700 for a Steven's Institute grad. Who knows what they had to borrow.

What can a skilled tradesman make? I guess within this range?

These 35 N.J. colleges have the highest-paid grads
A smart motivated high school graduate can do that after 10 years and maybe even better without any debt. Skilled tradesmen make good money but may get a bit dirty doing it. Today's youth are alergic to getting dirty.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Or sticking to something that doesn't instantly provide a nice house, nice car, women, etc. Not all of them but it seems a majority. Then again it was probably said of my generation too, and the one prior, and on and on.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 9:00 pm

When I got my free hot water tank the only thing I had to do or pay for was run the 220 line over, I left the cover off so they could see the job. The guy looked & asked if I did it myself so I asked if there was anything wrong, he said nothing wrong but it was too neat for an electrician from around these parts.
When I got my journeyman papers it was all paid for by my employer thru their apprentice program but very few do it now.

VigIIPeaBurner

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Aug. 14, 2017 10:03 am

cabinover wrote:Or sticking to something that doesn't instantly provide a nice house, nice car, women, etc. Not all of them but it seems a majority. Then again it was probably said of my generation too, and the one prior, and on and on.
Maybe so on both counts. There's a lot of millennials out there that aren't living or striving for the flashy lifestyle. The flashy ones catch our attention but thru my kids I see a lot of them doing hard work - kids with law degrees working trades, farm labor, janitors, and waiting tables. They're out there. Honestly, if my father got his electrician licence in the 60s when the contractor he worked for offered to pay for it, I'd probably have done that for a living too. Might have been better lifestyle than 35 years of 24/7 x365 rotating swing shifts :|

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Aug. 14, 2017 1:38 pm

Being an "electrician" is a very broad term. There are often misinformed sterotyped ideas assumed.
Between residential, commercial and industrial types of work there are some common skills but yet each have some separate skills required that are very much unlike the other types.

Being control savvy is definitly a rare specialty and need never to be assumed universally in their job description.

Engineers are generally the ones to design control circuits and an electrician who gains many hours of "trouble shooting skills" can/will gain good insight into sorting out what was, is, or should of been happening in a control system.

Even following a wiring schematic from "scratch" take some different skills as the diagram is far from looking as what needs to be physcically installed and assembled together to make things work.

Even being trained some in a classroom on controls is only a small sampling compared to the necessary experience needed to be learned hands-on out on the job...if ever such rare opportunity(s) comes along.

Then there is the contractor's viewpoint on transfer of knowledge/specialty skills from the "sooner to leave the trade experinced hands" over to the "newer remaining hands" and how far sighted or short sighted he might be towards maintaining still yet some valuable highly skilled workers...usually his "bottom line" gets in the way ...but I digress.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”