Help with coal bin design

Chiefster23
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer
Coal Size/Type: Hard coal, nut

Post by Chiefster23 » Wed. Jul. 19, 2017 8:51 am

Hello. I want to build an outside coal bin and need some advice on design. Dimensions will be 4' wide, 4' high, and 8' long. The base foundation will be 4 x 4s x 8ft. on 16 inch centers. Sides and ends will be framed with 2 x 4s on 16 inch centers. I was hoping to use 1/2 inch plywood for the floor and sides. The box should contain 3 tons of coal. Will 1/2 inch plywood be thick enough? Thanks in advance.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Jul. 19, 2017 9:19 am

Use 3/4 for the floor, 2*6 for the floor joists unless they are sitting on the ground. Drill some small holes in each corner for drainage. You can use half inch for the sides but make sure it's plywood, no OSB. You'll lose about 1/2 ton of space but if you put the plywood on the inside you'll never have any troubles. If you put the plywood on the outside run a 2*4 down the seam where the plywood meets the base. Couple of angled metal brackets on the top corners. Use coated screws, especially for the first foot off the floor. Ideally use pressure treated, especially for the floor and the bottom 2*4 for your wall. If you do it right you should be good for 20 or 30 years.

Every bin I have seen break (and I've seen a lot of them break) has broken on the bottom, that is where they rot and has the most pressure.

The roof should have easy access, that corrugated plastic sheeting works really well with a light support so it can simply be removed for delivery. Other than that a hinged piece of plywood will also work.

Chiefster23
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer
Coal Size/Type: Hard coal, nut

Post by Chiefster23 » Wed. Jul. 19, 2017 10:25 am

Thank you Richard S. This is exactly the kind of info I was seeking. The 4 x 4s on the base framing will be sitting on about 6 to 8 inches of gravel and will be treated. Ok on the 3/4 plywood for the floor. I wasn't planning on any OSB anywhere for obvious reasons. The rest of your advice was great and I will be following it. I like the idea of a plastic lid. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks again. Now I can work up a material list and start shopping.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jul. 19, 2017 10:39 am

Put some plastic sheet down prior to the timbers. No sense letting them wick moisture from the soil.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Wed. Jul. 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Chief I used texture 111 an it was five eight thick .This was on the outside of the bin .This makes a Finished exterior .I painted or stained it before installing it .I trimmed the corners withFypon which is a vinyl boardand comes in white .Makes a nice finished job .jack

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”