How Do I Use Two Tanks?

firstsamuel310

Post by firstsamuel310 » Tue. May. 27, 2008 5:28 pm

Newbie here,
I have a Baker Heat King hand fired coal stove. I just purchased a water coil with plans to hook it up to my existing electric water heater. The problem is that the water heater is about 25 feet away (although it is elevated above the stove). I know that I can just purchase a circulating pump to fix the distance problem, but I have a spare hot water tank that I was thinking about using in the summer months to bring the well water up to room temp before it entered the electric hwt. My question is: Can I install the spare tank within 5 to 7 ft of the coal stove in an advantageous way for the winter months? My thought was that there must be a way of utilizing both tanks to keep more of a hot water supply going since the stove will be making hot water all the time. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! sam

P.S. I did search the many posts, but didn't find anything that seemed to answer this one.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Tue. May. 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Why not buy an Ergomax indirect heater. You'll need a B aquastat and a circulator. These will provide all the hot water you need.

firstsamuel310

Post by firstsamuel310 » Tue. May. 27, 2008 10:45 pm

I looked at the prices on the Ergomax, wow- out of my budget. I was hoping for a cheaper way.

coalshop

Post by coalshop » Wed. May. 28, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi firstsamual310, if you look at hilkoil.com they will show you how to hook up a two tank system. it can be done pretty easy. I have mine hooked up that way and it works good. :D

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”