COAL BIN Pics

This forum is for common products and questions such as chimney installations, CO detectors, coal bin designs and a variety of other general topics that do not fit into the other forums.
Dr Cherry
Stove/Furnace Make: Monogram
Stove/Furnace Model: unknown

Post Sun. Nov. 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Ok, I but an additional footer in the middle, hoping that will give me a little more support. We finished the bottom, back, and sides tonight as it got dark. More later.
coal_bin02.jpg
--------------------------
kd8qzz

Engine267
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker

Post Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Here is the start of my outdoor coal bin. When finished it should hold close to 5 tons. There is about 1.25 tons, in the first bin, the second bin will get filled when I am finished and the third bin will be my workstation to fill buckets. I will side it to match the shed and house in the spring and clean up the job site before snow falls so the working area can be snowblown. The top has a 2' x 2' fill hatch for each bin. The construction is 4"x4" PT corners and center posts with 2" x 4" PT joists 2' OC. The sheeting is 3/4" plywood. The entire bin is 12' by 4' ID, and sits on a 4" rebar reinforced slab. Comments/criticism welcome.
Attachments
IMG_0422.jpg
IMG_0424.jpg

Dr Cherry

Post Fri. Nov. 25, 2011 1:52 pm

Finished enough of the bin to take delivery. Unfortunately the back of the truck is too low to dump into it.
coal_bin04.jpg
kd8qzz

titleist1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Post Fri. Nov. 25, 2011 2:27 pm

Dr Cherry wrote:Finished enough of the bin to take delivery. Unfortunately the back of the truck is too low to dump into it.

On the one hand that stinks that is is too low. On the other hand it appears that a nice little front end loader may be in your future! :D
I drive a VW TDI, heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have two vintage JD diesel tractors....
The EPA just loves me!!

Dr Cherry

Post Fri. Nov. 25, 2011 2:42 pm

titleist1 wrote:
Dr Cherry wrote:Finished enough of the bin to take delivery. Unfortunately the back of the truck is too low to dump into it.

On the one hand that stinks that is is too low. On the other hand it appears that a nice little front end loader may be in your future! :D
Let me see how this sounds, "Baby, I need a tractor". I don't think she's going to buy it. :)
kd8qzz

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Fri. Nov. 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Yea, that's always a tough one even here on the farm. ;)
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

AA130FIREMAN
Stove/Furnace Make: axeman anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 anthratube

Post Fri. Nov. 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Back the truck up on some blocks.

Dr Cherry

Post Sat. Nov. 26, 2011 2:08 am

AA130FIREMAN wrote:Back the truck up on some blocks.
I'll have to remember that for next time. The driver seemed like he wanted to dump and go.
kd8qzz

grumpy

Post Sat. Nov. 26, 2011 2:11 am

Dr. Cherry you have a PM..

njbill
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman & Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Magnafire Insert, Pioneer

Post Sat. Nov. 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Lots of great ideas posted here. After looking at the various designs, I built a 3 ton with a shed roof, removable door slats and a dog house on the bottom to shovel the coal from. I was rushing and building mostly at night after work, so I didn't get many pics of the construction. It's 8x4, with 2x4 studs 16" on center. The walls are plated to the top of the 4x8 floor, and I put 2 ratchet straps across the inside at about 28" from the floor. Got my 3T pea coal delivery last week-- my son filmed it so I put it on youtube (it's pretty shaky, but hey, he's 10).

Coalbin 1.JPG
Coalbin 2.JPG
coalbin 3.JPG

titleist1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Post Sat. Nov. 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Dr Cherry wrote:
titleist1 wrote:
Let me see how this sounds, "Baby, I need a tractor". I don't think she's going to buy it. :)
no, no no.....it doesn't sound like you been married for very long!

it goes like this.....

baby, we just positioned ourselves to save about $20k over the course of 10 years in heating costs...what a great decision we made together!
how about we make another small, related investment of $5k-$8k that will save us about $25k in back surgery for herniated disks?!!
just think, in two easy steps we could be saving ourselves about $45k and you could retire early and I could continue to walk in an upright position!!

:D
I drive a VW TDI, heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have two vintage JD diesel tractors....
The EPA just loves me!!

Dr Cherry

Post Sat. Nov. 26, 2011 9:12 pm

titleist1 wrote:
Dr Cherry wrote: Let me see how this sounds, "Baby, I need a tractor". I don't think she's going to buy it. :)
no, no no.....it doesn't sound like you been married for very long!

it goes like this.....

baby, we just positioned ourselves to save about $20k over the course of 10 years in heating costs...what a great decision we made together!
how about we make another small, related investment of $5k-$8k that will save us about $25k in back surgery for herniated disks?!!
just think, in two easy steps we could be saving ourselves about $45k and you could retire early and I could continue to walk in an upright position!!

:D
I stand among giants.
kd8qzz

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post Sun. Nov. 27, 2011 9:27 am

Funny Doc! 8-)
Or, not nearly as much fun nor utilitarian....you could make a couple ramps or as fireman said blocks.
Seems weird that he couldn't get the coal into that box though? My guy would have easily filled that box and he uses a converted potato truck with a conveyor ramp. The door I made in the side of my barn was 4 feet off the ground. Must of been a bog standard dump druck he was using?

Dr Cherry

Post Sun. Nov. 27, 2011 10:30 am

SteveZee wrote:Funny Doc! 8-)
Or, not nearly as much fun nor utilitarian....you could make a couple ramps or as fireman said blocks.
Seems weird that he couldn't get the coal into that box though? My guy would have easily filled that box and he uses a converted potato truck with a conveyor ramp. The door I made in the side of my barn was 4 feet off the ground. Must of been a bog standard dump druck he was using?
This truck is bigger than the one I measured in their yard last year. It would've crushed my bin I think. They guy delivering did not seem interesting in trying anything but dumping on the ground. I should've taken a photo.
kd8qzz

echos67
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Post Sun. Dec. 11, 2011 3:00 pm

I was able to throw a bin together in the evenings after work last week, I based it off of what I saw on this thread. It is basically 8' x 6' and to the bottom of the basement window where it is filled from is 4.5'. Since the pictures I removed the light and covered the cieling with plastic that drops down to below the height of the plywood to try and keep dust from entering the house. I had 2 ton of nut coal dropped into it yesterday and it wasnt really dusty at all, now I just need to learn how to run a stove for more than a few hours at a time :lol: .
Coal Bin 12-8-11.jpg
Coal Bin 2 Ton 12-10-11.jpg
Keith V
Glenwood No. 6

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”