Coal Bin Pictures and Designs

Rex

Post by Rex » Tue. May. 08, 2007 9:29 am

Richard S. wrote:As far as the forces go on the top every coal bin that I have ever seen break has always broken on the bottom, probably due to rotting more than anything. Having said that I would add some 2x4's to the top or near the top of that bin. You need at least one some support or it's going to bow out, the plywood itself is not enough even if you fill half way. Get a couple of eyehooks and cheap ratchet straps to go from one side to the other inside the bin, two or three will be more than enough. You can use cable too but the ratchet straps are really easy to remove.

Consider this, by the looks of it you can probably fit about 6 tons plus in that bin. that's 12,000 pounds or approximately 4 mid size cars. Most of the weight is transferred directly to the ground but you till have a large amount of force pushing out.
I do like your idea of ratchet style straps. Everyone's suggestions have been great and will now consider some type of additional 2x4 support on the sides with some style of side to side cross strap support.

More to come. OH, thanks for the 6 ton figure.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Jul. 16, 2007 12:53 pm

Here is my new bin in the basement....4' x 12' x 4-6' tall. I wedged the 2x4's into place and braced them against the floor joists.

I Will add some 2"x3" tie supports from each wall on the bottom to keep the bottom from moving outward (I don';t think it will, but good insurance, since it is accessible now.).

Should hold at least 4 ton if not more!! :)

Just need to finish up the door/slats and line it with plastic and add a light.
Around $50-60 in lumber (2x4's and 5 sheets of flakeboard).

Attachments

IMG_1781-G_Small.jpg
.JPG | 150.7KB | IMG_1781-G_Small.jpg
IMG_1776B.jpg
.JPG | 274.7KB | IMG_1776B.jpg
IMG_1779-E-small.jpg
.JPG | 86.8KB | IMG_1779-E-small.jpg

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Wed. Aug. 22, 2007 8:14 pm

This is my coal bin before and after. Before I filled it and after I filled it. It is made of salvaged rough cut 2x6 from an old barn and treated 3/4 plywood.
The 2x6 is overkill but it was free! I nailed the top plate to the bottom of the floor joists and was going to use my palm tight space air nailer to nail from the top down only to find the space was too tight and had to toenail it anyway. :evil:
If I had to do it over I would just toenail directly to the underside of the joist and skip the top plate. Oh well, measure once, cut twice!

Attachments

Funace 025.jpg

Bin Full, Almost

.JPG | 63.7KB | Funace 025.jpg
Funace 017.jpg

Bin Empty

.JPG | 55.7KB | Funace 017.jpg

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Wed. Aug. 29, 2007 3:33 pm

it's full!! :) 4.75 Tons, a bit on the overflow (4x4 bin)

Gary in Pennsylvania

Post by Gary in Pennsylvania » Mon. Sep. 03, 2007 12:03 pm

Gosh! I've been a member on the board for a while now....But I've never posted a pic of my bin.

Here ya go!

DAMN! My gigi pics are not within board upload specs.
NEPA Admin.....I know you do not want us direct linking photos.....But using photobucket is the only way I know how to shrink my photos.
You may edit and take these pics onto your server....but I this is the only way I can post these pics right now.

Gary in Pennsylvania

Post by Gary in Pennsylvania » Mon. Sep. 03, 2007 1:41 pm

The pics from the side were taken with me standing about 20ft into the lot adjacent to my property. I own it too and have been spending the summer clearing it.

I don't mind having to go outside for the coal (though the 10"+ snowfalls are a pain!) cuz my Harman insert is just inside the downstairs there....in fact, the chimney is just off the left edge of the pic.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Sep. 09, 2007 5:56 pm

I'm starting work on the new concrete coal bin. The old one was two blocks deep, two wide to the outside. so the inside was 12'x8'x 6'high.

This one will be three block deep, two and a half wide and still three high. So inside will be 18'x11'x6' I am planning on putting down a concrete floor this time, the last one was old plywood, not very nice. I'll probably make an apron out front to include the front of the boiler building too.

Greg L

Attachments

newcoalbin1.jpg
.JPG | 246.9KB | newcoalbin1.jpg
coal bin.jpg

contains 9 tons of coal

.JPG | 155.7KB | coal bin.jpg
newcoalbin3.jpg

Slowly getting built

.JPG | 215.3KB | newcoalbin3.jpg
Last edited by LsFarm on Mon. Sep. 17, 2007 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex

Post by Rex » Mon. Sep. 17, 2007 9:54 am

Ok, I have been meaning to post an update to my new bin (see my previous post a few pages back). I have strengthened my walls. Here are a few pics showing the updated bin with 4 tons of coal. Everything looks solid and all thats needed is cold weather! Someones estimate of 6 ton total capacity looks about right. I can easily put in another 2 tons if needed.

Thanks for everyones input. Im sure I'll be needing more "burning advice" once the season starts up.

Attachments

DSCN3810.JPG
.JPG | 75.5KB | DSCN3810.JPG
DSCN3809.JPG
.JPG | 62.7KB | DSCN3809.JPG
DSCN3808.JPG
.JPG | 59.1KB | DSCN3808.JPG

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Tue. Sep. 25, 2007 7:41 pm

About $65 worth of wood, nails, and 2x4's, I know it's osb board but I have it well reinforced inside and it's up against 2 walls.

Attachments

DCP03243.jpg

4x4x8 should hold 3.2 ton.

.JPG | 275.5KB | DCP03243.jpg

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post by JerseyCoal » Wed. Sep. 26, 2007 1:05 am

Hi Mozz:
My inlaws lived on a farm on a tiny island near Istanbul, Turkey. I swear that your coal bin looks exactly like the home they lived in; I've seen the pictures. All you need is some chicken wire on the windows and an outhouse and you would have an exact replica of the "old homestead"!!

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Sep. 28, 2007 9:16 am

I finally found time to pour the floor and front pad for my enlarged coalbin. I ran out of concrete so had to cut the front corner. I hate it when that happens!! :lol:

Once the concrete has aged a few weeks I'll start transfering coal from the temporary bin to this perminent one. I'll then have a few more blocks to add to the perminent bin's walls. I should not have any problems with getting most if not all the coal in the bin. I may add a front bulkhead to allow me to raise depth of the coal pile at the front. I'll have to see how it looks as I load.

I haven't figured out what type of cover I'll put on it, Probably will resort to a good tarp this winter. I'm running out of time, ambition and money.

Greg L.

Attachments

coalbinfloor.jpg
.JPG | 225.4KB | coalbinfloor.jpg
newcoalbin5.jpg

It took about 30 minutes to transfer this much coal from the temporary coal bin. I'm estimating this is about 4-5 tons.

.JPG | 165.4KB | newcoalbin5.jpg
Last edited by LsFarm on Sun. Sep. 30, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Sep. 28, 2007 10:00 am

Talk about a convieniant location. Right next to the powerhouse. What did those big blocks cost apiece?

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Sep. 28, 2007 10:11 am

Hi Ian, the blocks come from a concrete Redi-mix company about 5 miles away. They charge $25 each. They weigh ~4000# each !!

I did a quick cost analyst and decided that they were less money and more perminent than pressure treated lumber and plywood. I know they aren't very 'pretty' but very functional. And if I or someone else wanted, they could be pulled out, and a regular pole-building built around the concrete pad.

I put reinforcing wire into the pad and first 10' of the bin, so hopefully it will stand up to the tractor traffic and the next semi-load of coal.

This new bin is 11' wide, 18' deep and 6' high. It should hold my 29 tons, even with spillage out the front. I'm going to mortar up the gaps and holes before I start to transfer the pea-coal. It flows like water through gaps.

No more mud when getting coal from the bin from now on!!

Greg L

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Sep. 29, 2007 12:51 pm

This is my "small" coal bin. When full it should hold 1 ton of pea. I still have to extend the sides a little higher. It's about all I have room for in the cellar (anyone who has a very old house knows this). I can always store additional coal outside, I built the bin so that I can take the scuttle downstairs to fill it instead of having to go outside.

Attachments

DSCN0970.jpg
.JPG | 165KB | DSCN0970.jpg

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II

Post by Ed.A » Sat. Sep. 29, 2007 4:41 pm

LsFarm wrote: They charge $25 each. They weigh ~4000# each !!
That'd be a bargin for sure.
I know they aren't very 'pretty' but very functional.
Actually they're damn nice looking IMO.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”