Coal Bin Pictures and Designs

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Tue. Mar. 31, 2009 11:01 am

TdiDave,
Did you get your chimney built yet? How did it go?
On second thought...Could you update your chimney progress on the "new chimney project" thread you started so this thread stays on topic.

TdiDave
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line - Pocono
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by TdiDave » Sun. May. 17, 2009 9:37 am

Coal bin is in place now. I think I may wrap it in tin, and make some kind of lid.
IMG_0948a.jpg

about 300Lb of rice

.JPG | 508.6KB | IMG_0948a.jpg
IMG_0947a.jpg

maybe wrap sides with tin ?

.JPG | 621.3KB | IMG_0947a.jpg
IMG_0941a.jpg

Need a pipe to feed it into the stairwell ?

.JPG | 549.3KB | IMG_0941a.jpg
Notice the Coal, Heatpump, Propane, Oil. I wonder my self.....

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. May. 17, 2009 10:55 am

It's Nice to have options!!! :D :lol:

maybe a dozen cord of wood along that open wall would round out things??

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Sun. May. 17, 2009 5:16 pm

TdiDave, How much coal will it hold?

26Weeks

Post by 26Weeks » Sun. May. 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Will you put a bearing on the end or wont you need one? I vote for spell check on here for me only. Whats the motor and gearing? Hope it works out looks kool. Thanks Brian

TdiDave
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line - Pocono
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by TdiDave » Mon. May. 18, 2009 10:20 am

26Weeks wrote:Will you put a bearing on the end or wont you need one? I vote for spell check on here for me only. Whats the motor and gearing? Hope it works out looks kool. Thanks Brian
I don't think it needs a bearing on the end the augor just kind-of moves around in the pipe, not sure about the motor or gearing. I picked this thing up with my used LL Pocono.

If my calculations are right it should hold about 2 ton.

tboonie

Post by tboonie » Fri. Jun. 12, 2009 3:27 pm

How do you fill the 55 gallon drums??? Will they fill them for you at the breaker or do you have to shovel them full at the breaker yourself? Sorry for all the questions, but I just ordered my VF3000 today and I've never burnt coal before. I'm not sure if I want to do an outside bin, or knock a whole in my basement wall to make a trap door for delivery and build an indoor bin. I do have a ground level 48" wide door into my basement and thought using a dolly with 55 gallon plastic barrels might be nice. If I had enough barrels, do you think the delivery guy would fill the barrels at my house? Just trying to find the best option. I have a 2 month old, so I don't think the hole in the basement wall, inside bin is an option for this year.

Thanks for all your help.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Fri. Jun. 12, 2009 5:33 pm

tboonie wrote:How do you fill the 55 gallon drums??? Thanks for all your help.
tboonie, how about just having a bulk deliveryof coal, and have them dump it on a tarp, for this year? Cover it over with another tarp. Next year, (or during the winter) you can make plans for a more permanent storage bin. :D :idea:

tboonie

Post by tboonie » Thu. Jun. 18, 2009 9:03 am

Anyone have pics of their coal chutes? I"m looking to knock a block out of my basement wall and build a coal chute in. Any suggestions on width, angle of chute, line the plywood chute with what type of sheet metal (aluminum, galvanized, etc.)? I want to build a box around it outside that I can try and seal off when not in use. The wife doesn't want any bugs, spiders, etc. coming in the chute.

Any help with suggestions, pics would be great!

Thanks,

Terry

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jun. 18, 2009 10:31 am

If you're knocking just the cinder block out they make little cast iron doors to fit the hole. If you have intentions on getting it delivered I'd suggest not putting anything. What you can do is knock the corners off on the inside so it has like a funnel shape. That's inside the house.

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Thu. Jun. 18, 2009 11:59 am

I am installing a chute, 10" schedule 40 (cost me $7.00 per foot) through my block foundation with a fernco. co cap (all rubber with a stainless band clamp $40 ) the fernco cap was 1/2 the price of a std. cap and will come off easier and should seal well. I plan on useing a round piece of plywood with some insulation before I put on the cap. The wost part is I must go through 2 walls, 1 foundation,1 knee wall in my crall space, so I drilled a small hole and inserted 1/2 inch pipe to get my angle of 40 deg. :idea:

tboonie

Post by tboonie » Thu. Jun. 18, 2009 10:55 pm

How wide should the chute be??? How wide is the typical delivery trucks chute?

tboonie

Post by tboonie » Thu. Jun. 18, 2009 11:05 pm

Richard S. wrote:If you're knocking just the cinder block out they make little cast iron doors to fit the hole. If you have intentions on getting it delivered I'd suggest not putting anything. What you can do is knock the corners off on the inside so it has like a funnel shape. That's inside the house.
Problem is, the cinder block I'm knocking out is about 6 inches below ground level. I'm building a 16" x 16" x 16" 3 sided box to go up against the wall. Inside the box will be a slanted chute with aluminum that will go into the hole I will knock out. I built the box and chute today, I juste have to put some aluminum sheeting on the chute yet and I'll take a photo. I'm going to make a hinged lid for the box with some weather stripping to try and keep all the bugs and spiders out (to please my wife, who, as we all know is the true boss).

I'm also going to keep the chute level in length with the inside wall so that I can mount a door on the inside as well with some weather striping foam.

Does this sound reasonable? Is a 16" wide chute into the basement wide enough? I have about a 30 degree angle on the chute and the chute itself is only about 20" long. I also have the top of the chute setting down inside the box by about 6 or 8 inches. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Jun. 19, 2009 5:14 am

tboonie wrote:How wide should the chute be??? How wide is the typical delivery trucks chute?
The width of cinderblock. :idea: Having said that if you can't make something that big the dealer should have smaller chutes. I had a short chute that went down too about 5 inches that was like a funnel.

If it's underground the the pvc pipe might not be a bad idea. Be a lot easier to seal off.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jun. 21, 2009 10:17 am

Richard S. wrote:If it's underground the the pvc pipe might not be a bad idea. Be a lot easier to seal off.
Good point, an opening below grade can be troublesome.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”