Coal Bin Pictures and Designs

azzip

Post by azzip » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 7:17 pm

I don't have pics of my coal bin but I have a pic of a simple tool my father in law made for pushing and pulling coal, works great stainless and plastic.

Attachments

IMG_8531.jpg
.JPG | 123.4KB | IMG_8531.jpg

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sun. Aug. 31, 2008 9:32 am

Hi,

I did post this in another thread but thought I'd put it here too. Plus I never get sick of looking at my bin full of coal. It just makes me feel good inside...
coal bin floor framing.jpg

Concrete piers and PT framing.

.JPG | 618.3KB | coal bin floor framing.jpg
coal bin1.jpg

Finished bin (actually the back and part of one side still need shingled)

.JPG | 154.3KB | coal bin1.jpg
coal bin 2.jpg

Bin jammed full of nut coal.

.JPG | 141.9KB | coal bin 2.jpg
This bin is about 50 ft from our porch door and about 40 from our back door so we'll see how it does in the winter snows. I'll just keep a clear path to it. I'm installing an auto spotlight on the back of the barn (the bin is behind the barn) so it's well lit when I need to fill up. I plan on using 2 5-gallon buckets and keeping them in the attic stair well which is right behind the stove area. The stove plumbing actually goes through an interior wall and then about 2 1/2 ft to the masonry chimney. After I finish the stove install I'll post pictures of that too.

Patrick

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Aug. 31, 2008 12:56 pm

azzip wrote:I don't have pics of my coal bin but I have a pic of a simple tool my father in law made for pushing and pulling coal, works great stainless and plastic.
You can use a rake, probably wouldn't work as well as that with small coal but then again your''s isn't going to work very well for larger sizes either. ;) The very best tool is a medium sized aluminum shovel, think we used to #16's or 18's. You don't want the larger "grain" one, that is too big especially for nut.
Patrick wrote:I did post this in another thread but thought I'd put it here too. Plus I never get sick of looking at my bin full of coal. It just makes me feel good inside...
:lol: So when you putting the windows and furnace in so the coal feels at home.

Motorbike

Post by Motorbike » Tue. Sep. 02, 2008 9:11 am

here are pics of mine. should hols about 4 ton. its the biggest I could make it.

Attachments

caol bin 01.jpg
.JPG | 75.9KB | caol bin 01.jpg
coal bin 02.jpg
.JPG | 79KB | coal bin 02.jpg

billw

Post by billw » Tue. Sep. 02, 2008 9:17 am

azzip wrote:I don't have pics of my coal bin but I have a pic of a simple tool my father in law made for pushing and pulling coal, works great stainless and plastic.
Nice idea. I was going to buy a long handled rake. Now you gave me an idea for something home made.

Hybrid Guy

Post by Hybrid Guy » Tue. Sep. 02, 2008 6:25 pm

I just got my first delivery of coal on Saturday. Since this is my first year burning coal, I wanted a quick, simple, easy and cheap bin. I decided the trade off of losing the stairs was worth it...
The dimensions are 4 feet wide, 6 feet high and 6 feet long. It wouldn't hold the entire 5 ton load, but I didn't expect it to. I have a small pile on a tarp nearby.

Attachments

DSCN0875.JPG
.JPG | 74.7KB | DSCN0875.JPG
DSCN0874.JPG
.JPG | 73.1KB | DSCN0874.JPG

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Sep. 02, 2008 10:16 pm

"My Other Bin"
OK, it is not my personal bin....
But where I get my coal from when the SubUrban Strip/shallow Mine can not produce enough good stuff.
Poured walls do stand up well over time.
16x40x9
About 18 tons left.

Attachments

IMG_0275c.JPG

18 tons

.JPG | 26.3KB | IMG_0275c.JPG

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Sep. 02, 2008 10:37 pm

My outdoor coal bin.

Since it will be outdoors exposed to all of the elements I decided to go with pressure treated lumber throughout the entire project. SS square head screws were used on the inside to attach the plywood to the frame. Galvanized lag bolts and carriage bolts hold the frame together. It is built on 2' centers with 4"x4" on the ends and center bracing with 2"x4" in between. I used 3/4"plywod for the walls and bottom and 1/2" plywod for the roof.

The bin dimensions are 6' x 6' x 8' to the outside edges of the framework. I used this size to maximize the use of 4x8 sheet plywood.

I will be adding a second coal chute on the rear side of the bin as soon as my fingers heal from the slight accident with the table saw on Monday 9-1-08. :mad: It could be a while as I will probalby need some ortho work done on my right ring finger. The middle finger only suffered some lacerations.

So much for saving money. LOL :cry: :cry: :cry:

Attachments

Coal Bin .03.jpg

Framework pic

.JPG | 103.1KB | Coal Bin .03.jpg
Coal Bin .08.jpg

Rear side view pic

.JPG | 87.4KB | Coal Bin .08.jpg
Coal Bin .12.jpg

Front side showing removeable doors

.JPG | 90.4KB | Coal Bin .12.jpg
Coal Bin .09.jpg

Side Coal chute

.JPG | 74.7KB | Coal Bin .09.jpg

gambler

Post by gambler » Tue. Sep. 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Where are the pics of the fingers? You didn't happen to get it on video did you? :P

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Sep. 02, 2008 11:39 pm

Must have been a good one. 8-)
See the last pic on the door.... :mad:
Injury pic thread :idea:
I brushed an unshielded 4.5" grinder with a finger while it was slowing down.... :roll:

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 4:50 am

Hybrid

Nice use of using what you already have in place.

Rick

Looks like a nice solid bin that is not going anywhere, nice work. :up:

Safety first guys, doesn't do you any good to save money if you are not able to load coal into your stove.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 9:18 am

Gambler,
If I had any video, the only thing you would have seen would have been a streak of me running toward the house from the woodshop. I knew as soon as I felt the sting that I had hit the blade. I immediately shut off the saw and ran.

If you really want to see pics, I'll be taking some the next time I change the dressings. Basically the ring finger has a laceration from the front side of the nail around the nail and up and over the first knuckle. Lots and lots of stitches, some through the nail itself as they needed an anchoring point to attach the rest of the finger. The end bone was shattered. The middle finger has lots of stitches at the first joint on the underside of the joint.

I was making a dado cut to allow the plywood to slide behind the 2"x4" vertical support on the chute. Board kicked back fingers too close. It happens all too fast . However I have found a remedy for situations like this. It's gonna cost me some money, but may well be worth it. Looks like I will be using the savings from burning coal to purchase one of these. Really cool setup and the saw appears to be well made to boot.

**Broken Link(s) Removed** Watch the demo videos. Really impressive !!!!!

Adam the red mark is the color coding from the lumber yard. I made it into the house before the first drop of blood came out.

Yep I know it was a dumb thing to do......should have been more careful. I keep replaying it over and over in my mind. One good thing is that I'm a lefty so I can still do a lot with the other hand. However my finger typing is cut in half. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rick

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 10:22 am

Damn rick that sounds like a nasty cut. :fear:

Very nice saw a bit pricey though
**Broken Link(s) Removed** But you do get what you pay for and that's all that really matters.
One good thing is that I'm a lefty
Heck that's half your problem right there, lefties can never do anything right. :P

gambler

Post by gambler » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 10:26 am

I am really not morbid. I was just razzing you a little.
I once was bucking a log with my chainsaw and leaned on it a little too much and I felt the chain come into contact with my upper leg. I instanly dropped the saw and looked and I had a large tear in my jeans so I quickly dropped my jeans to look at the damage to my leg but fortunately it only left a very shallow wound that did not bleed very much. I then pulled my pants back up and turned my saw off and went into the house and drank beer the rest of the afternoon. Like you said it happens in an instant.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 11:55 am

You were very lucky. My cousin cut off three of his fingers on a table saw. It does happen very quickly. It's easy to get too comfortable when you are experienced with a table saw. Dadoes are particularly dangerous. Most important thing is to take out only a small amount of wood and make multiple passes. Next most dangerous, chain saws. Theres another great reason I'm glad to be burning coal. No more hours and hours with a stinking dangerous chain saw.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”