Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Mackman wrote:
Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 8:38 pm
Can't beat a bulldog!!
Unless you're driving something with a 6NZ Cat. 8-)

Nice coal bin by the way.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Mackman wrote:
Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 8:38 pm
Own 4 of them. Plus 2 western stars!! Can't beat a bulldog!!
Very cool. I have a soft spot for the B and R models of the 50s, and 60s. My father worked as a mechanic for them in the mid 50s to 60s, in Boston, B4 they closed the plant. I was young, and never got any experience on them, but they sure bring back some memories. :)

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 5:46 am

Rob R. wrote:
Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Unless you're driving something with a 6NZ Cat. 8-)
Uhhhh oh, was trying to avoid that at all costs but now I’m in trouble :lol:

Those are very nice looking Mack’s. Are those two at the far left CH or CL models? There are still several of the CL series still hauling coal around here, I always thought they were a nicely styled chassis. We worked with friends that had 4 or 5 of them for a few years.

I also haul stone daily with a gentleman who works a 1978 R model... to the tune of 400-500 miles everyday. He bought the truck brand new, has almost 4 million miles on it. It has been through 3 or 4 engines through the years and 2 aluminum dump bodies but the Allegheny mountains are not kind to most equipment. Unless there are major problems he is on the road with it every single day, my father and him have been out there together since the beginning. The truck is VERY well maintained, he is one of the best mechanics I have ever known.

He is a living legend, everyone throughout these mountains that has ties to trucking knows who “Weightlifter” is. Not very many men can say they were able to keep the same truck on the road for their entire career.

Scottaw

Post by Scottaw » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 5:59 pm

CAA62C84-181B-4866-8625-F986065FCAA5.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.2MB | CAA62C84-181B-4866-8625-F986065FCAA5.jpeg
The body of the bin is done and ready to hold coal!

Going to add a hinged roof and I have some leftover vinyl siding that matches the house. The door will be stacked boards that I remove as I shovel down.

So happy I finally got around to building it. 4x4x10 should hold a full load from my yard (3.5-4 tons). Probably get it filled next week and just tarp it until I get a roof on.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 5:21 pm

I have had my bin for almost 10 years, usually holds 4-5 ton, just got a delivery today 3.5 tons, had about 1-1.5 ton in it to start with. filled it up nicely. A couple hours later heard something and found this... Ugh. that wall should be about 3 feet to the right. not much I can do except start burning it. I secured it so I don't move any farther. oh well. i'll have to empty it before I can do anything. I guess not enough bracing on that side. at least Most was towards the back opposite side and the plastic stopped it from spilling out.
:o
coal_Bin.jpg
.JPG | 46.8KB | coal_Bin.jpg

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 6:42 pm

What gave Winnie? did you use concrete anchors to secure? Guess you could temporarily block the opening with some type of filler and bracing till summer arrives. Could've been worse.

WNY

Post by WNY » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 7:34 pm

i didn't secure it to the concrete, i had braces across the bottom and the side, but must not have been enough. its braced now so it doesn't move any farther. opening is blocked with a piece of plywood attached to the walls for now. I use about a ton a month, so it'll be a while, I haven't fired up yet, but prolly this week or so.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Yikes. Yeah yer best bet I'm thinkin is to use it as is until you can heap the coal up on the other side and then move it back over. My bin is very similar. I have the bottom 2×4 anchored to the concrete with tapcon concrete screws. I don't think it's going anywhere. I imagine there is a lot of lateral force especially with small sized coal since it'll behave more like a fluid than the stove size I'm using.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 9:13 pm

Rest assured WNY... you are not the only one this has ever happened to.

Take it from the coal delivery man: I have likely blown out more coal bins than you guys have even seen altogether. My foremost rule when we go in to shovel it back away from the conveyor is to distribute evenly at all corners of the bin, but that doesn’t even help if it’s not braced all that well. I have been working inside them as they have blown out and I have also stood outside on the ground cleaning up and heard it stretch and let loose.

We (including myself) have no idea how much force is created when we stack material that high. Gravity and lateral pressure can do some amazing things.

Empty her out and put her back together with some reinforcement, go screaming into the night.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 12:40 am

Wood as a common building material has limited tensile strength, fairs a good bit better in compression.

For shear or tensile strength look to steel as a better building material.

WNY

Post by WNY » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 5:45 am

THanks guys! it happens, nothing damaged except wall, had it lined with plastic, so it did flow out any farther. it'll work for now until I can get it lower and rebuilt, of course that'll be prolly middle of winter. Funny, most of the coal was on the opposite end where it was loaded and I was pulling back to this side, since it's larger at the other end.

WNY

Post by WNY » Mon. Mar. 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Finally used up enough coal in the bin to move the wall back.
I Found some good used 1.5" wide perforated Angle Iron with 1.5" lag bolts for the corners and Yes, I did drill into the concrete with anchors. !! as good (or better) than new now! :) just had it filled back up for the rest of the season.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Mar. 04, 2019 8:50 pm

Nice Job!!! WNY ;)

Luskateer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: Bit
Other Heating: Split system

Post by Luskateer » Mon. Jan. 27, 2020 9:17 pm

So I’m fixing to build a bin which will be in my basement. Be 3 x6x10. I’d like to set up a worm drive feeder at the bottom. Burning nut bit coal. Has anyone ever set up a worm drive garage door opener. I can get one from my local habitat re store pretty cheap. I’m retired ...this could be a fun project.

crazysteamer
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A150
Coal Size/Type: Rice (usually Blaschack)
Other Heating: Propane

Post by crazysteamer » Sun. Feb. 02, 2020 4:34 pm

you might consider a grain auger instead.

it takes a fair amount of torque to drag a bunch of coal around...much more than a garage door opener may be able to provide.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”