Dust Control

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 6:37 am

M, I hate to be the grimm reaper, but machines will never replace common sense. You've been given some suggestions on how to cut way down on your dust, using it. If you continue to empty inside, you will always have the same problem. Ash/dust will have to get TO the ceiling for that to work & it definitely is not a catch all.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 7:44 am

I agree.

I did remember something else. Hitzer sells these ash totes. I am not sure how these work but maybe someone here has used them and can tell us? Gotta be cheaper than the filter and would probably work better if you can sit the pan into it. (Again Im not sure how these work) http://www.hitzer.com/products/accessory/Large-Ash-Tote/

mef18210
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut

Post by mef18210 » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 8:36 am

I know I need to stop being lazy lol, just was curious if anyone ever used a similar product to help with dust. I'm going to look into the large ash bin and maybe when I finish framing basement make an area for emptying ashes with an exhaust fan to create a vacuum to pull ashes outside when I am lazy. Thank you everyone for the help and ideas

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 9:35 am

In the meantime, until you get something workable rigged up. You can probably just open the load door and dump your ashes slowly right in front of it. The draft should pull 90% of the dust right up the chimney.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 11:38 am

Nice M, that sounds like it will work well--KISS
mef18210 wrote:I know I need to stop being lazy lol, just was curious if anyone ever used a similar product to help with dust. I'm going to look into the large ash bin and maybe when I finish framing basement make an area for emptying ashes with an exhaust fan to create a vacuum to pull ashes outside when I am lazy. Thank you everyone for the help and ideas

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Emptying ash inside...that's border line crazy... :shock:

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 9:32 pm

Here's a little experiment, it requires a 200 + lumen LEN light,some ash and your eyes .

Go outside on a clear windless winter night and dump a handful of ash on the ground from 3-6 " up, sort of what you would do dumping ash.

Then immediately thereafter shine the light above the ash pile now on the ground & watch how long it takes the tiny ash particles to dissipate.

Record your data in your mind as a function of # particulates as a function of cubic feet per sec post ash dump.

Then think about what is happening in your house with you breathing it not to mention Ivan the Great your prize Husky dog.

:D

Ug

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Thu. Feb. 02, 2017 9:26 pm

I put my ash can on top of a five foot aluminum step ladder and empty into it just above my height (6'1"). The heat of the ash causes an upward plume of dust higher than my head, and I stand aside to the wind, if any. This works well, but I still wear a respirator when I'm doing it.

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Thu. Feb. 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Rich W. wrote:I put my ash can on top of a five foot aluminum step ladder and empty into it just above my height (6'1"). The heat of the ash causes an upward plume of dust higher than my head, and I stand aside to the wind, if any. This works well, but I still wear a respirator when I'm doing it.
You have got to be kidding

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Fri. Feb. 03, 2017 6:26 am

NOPE! I've got the lungs of a baby! You?

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 03, 2017 9:47 am

When our common sense modems kick in--many different individual levels of that!! :roll: --we do what we need to do. :)

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Fri. Feb. 03, 2017 10:24 am

Rich W. wrote:NOPE! I've got the lungs of a baby! You?
I just stand up wind take a deep breath, dump and walk away

Alvin

Post by Alvin » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 10:30 am

I to get a ridiculous amount of dust (coal ash) around my house an basement. My first problem was me being lazy and dumping the ash pan into buckets in the basement. Next I shovelled the ash still storing up to much dust it's best to just walk the ask pan outside. I also get dust when I shake the grates with the top door open. I now oil my coal with used peanut oil before taking it into the basement. I carry my ash pan out daily I do not shovel ashes and if I do clean the stove with a shovel I use a second shovel to push the ash off the first shovel instead of dumping the shovel. I had no typ of filter on my blower that did not help things.

Cuzz01
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker 160
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice
Other Heating: Ele. HVAC

Post by Cuzz01 » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 11:34 am

I connected a vac to a piece of plastic pipe drilled hole and capped the end 1st year.

This year I added a shroud curved over hopper. Vac on when dumping, seems to help.

Attachments

Coal Dust Eliminator.jpg
.JPG | 226.6KB | Coal Dust Eliminator.jpg

Alvin

Post by Alvin » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Very nice idea I have seen a lot of guys using the plastic tubing to transfer coal with a shop vac seems to work well I may try to build one

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”