Stainless or Regular Steel Stove Pipe?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 5:21 pm

I get mine at the HVAC supply house. It's commercial grade stuff at a reasonable price.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 5:45 pm

Oldsoul wrote:
Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 4:21 pm
Btw..it's tractor supply pipe made in USA it says...any better pipe out there?
Can't say about the brand, but if it says it's made in "USA", it "must" be good, right?

Which reminds of a story, from a decade or 2 ago. About a defective alternator on my 84 Olds 307, 9 passenger "Custom Cruiser"wagon we had when the kids were young. All matching numbers and "original". ;)
Wanted to rebuild the housing with new parts, but they weren't available, and needed the car for the week-end, so opted for one of NAPAs remanufactured units. The box was labeled in big red, white, and blue letters..."made in USA". Once I got home, and pulled it outta the box, the sticker on the alternator says..."made in USA...China"!. Because what those clever devils have done, is made a town called "USA", but they pronounce it Oooooosa. :lol:

And this was the result of that purchase.
The alternator worked fine for a couple weeks. Then one day whilst cleaning out some paint rollers in the back yrd after making a box store run that morning, I hear some snap, crackle and popping, from the driveway. And this is what graces my curious eyes. :o (The wife happened to throw me the camera, as she was running down the street, with our twin baby girls under her arms.)
olds fire 001.jpg
.JPG | 119.4KB | olds fire 001.jpg
Because I had had electronic QJ carburetor problems for quite some time, before I cured it, I figured I screwed it up, and that's what caused the fire. But after our volunteer fire dept., used about 3 pumper trucks worth of water to extinguish it, the fire marshal looked under the hood, and saw that the back of the alternator was blown out from arcing, caught the plastic wheel well on fire, (which in turn ignited the hood insulation which is all oil soaked), and ...Whoosh, he rest is history. (the carb held up high and proud.)
Still have the alt and receipt from NAPA, to take them to court, and have them buy me another wagon, but you know what it's like for us pee-ons to fight cooperate lawyers.

So, in conclusion, (not to take anything away from your comment), the moral of the story, is...just because it says "made in the USA", I'ld still be skeptical.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :yes:

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 6:51 pm

What a loss Joeq. Id be pretty mad also.

For me, made in Canada seems to always be good, and USA most the time.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 8:15 pm

Made in Canada? I hope you're right. That's where my lift was made. ("Not" a Bendpak)

Oldsoul
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Legacy mark 2 & 3, previously vermont castings vigilant
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Oldsoul » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 8:42 pm

Ty for all your replies..I agree with made in the USA stickers...this brand is imperial.....🤔....from tractor supply,with a usa made sticker....so...I guess I'm on the hunt for better pipe,cuz one stove is lit here in the mountains of nj,and another is going to shortly follow...especially since we are keeping our fingers crossed that we still hear the sound of the 30+ year old oil boiler when we turn on the hot water...she's had her last patch job I'm afraid...time for that portage and main outdoor coal boiler!!! Or a nice efm stoker boiler would be nice if we could get it in basement!

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 8:57 pm

Oldsoul wrote:
Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 8:42 pm
Ty for all your replies..I agree with made in the USA stickers...this brand is imperial.....🤔....from tractor supply,with a usa made sticker....so...I guess I'm on the hunt for better pipe,cuz one stove is lit here in the mountains of nj,and another is going to shortly follow...especially since we are keeping our fingers crossed that we still hear the sound of the 30+ year old oil boiler when we turn on the hot water...she's had her last patch job I'm afraid...time for that portage and main outdoor coal boiler!!! Or a nice efm stoker boiler would be nice if we could get it in basement!
LOL. I can relate. With a small house, and being occupied for many years, it's amazing what we can collect. Floor space is a premium for me too down there. A stove would be nice.

For your pipe needs, do you have a dealer for the Selkirk brand? Mine is metalbestos, but Selkirk bought them years ago. They have a good rep.

Oldsoul

Post by Oldsoul » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 9:26 pm

I'll have to check on the Selkirk brand...grandpa @ 92 years is in disbelief that I have to change out pipe again...he said he had the same pipe growing up on their cook range and never changed it...plus it gets expensive quick!! I had a field controls baro 2 years ago and that plus the pipe rotted and pinholed...last year was the tsc pipe with an amazon baro,and that rotted...so now,on to the 3rd baro and a few small sections of pipe...all is swept out at the end of season...so at the end of this season,I'm gunna oil it for the first time to see if that works...

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 10:09 pm

You don't happen to live in "Atlantis", do ya?

Oldsoul

Post by Oldsoul » Wed. Oct. 05, 2022 7:08 pm

Sure feels like it..I can't figure it out..I know coal is acidic,but it's getting expensive

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 3:24 pm

don't know what i am doing WRONG but thin used to be decent priced stainless + even the $$$$ 22 ga dura black only went 3 years!!! so does that fluid film REALLY work???

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Oct. 25, 2022 10:08 pm

I oiled inside my stove and my stove pipe with Pam cooking spray last year. It was dried out and gone come time to put the stove pipe back up. Pin holes in yet another black snap lock pipe for me as well. I will try fluid film next year as well.

Might have to try some of the pipe Scott used…some of that AL24 BR549 pipe and see how it does. If’n I can find it in 7”.
Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Oct. 25, 2022 9:50 pm
This will be my fourth season with coal. The first two seasons were short ones because I got a late start. I’ve had two stove pipes in that time. Last year was the first full season of coal. This time (last spring) I was able to get the stove pipe off about two weeks after I shut the stove down cleaned and sprayed with Pam. The cheap snap together pipe I bought at Hitzer still rust d to beat the band and I left it on the hearth by the stove all off season. Still ended up with some pin holes in it. It’s good enough to use for wood and I already creosoted it up, but I don’t trust it for coal.

I’d like to buy some better stove pipe, stainless even, but no luck finding it in my size. Anyone have any input?

Pipe needed…

1- 2 ft section of 7” stove pipe (I cut about 1” off of it)
1- 7” adjustable 90 degree elbow or two 45 degree
1- 1 ft section of 7”
1- 7” pipe damper
1 7” to 8” increaser (crimped on small end)
1- 8” x 1ft (goes inside clay thimble which is odd sized @ 8 1/4”)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Oct. 25, 2022 10:54 pm

Oldsoul wrote:
Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 4:21 pm
Btw..it's tractor supply pipe made in USA it says...any better pipe out there?
Heat Fab @
www.northlineexpress.com

welded seam heavy gauge.

Clean pipe as you do but remove from thimble and stove do your oiling and wrap in newspaper and store whole pipe in attic or warm place.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Nov. 05, 2023 2:29 pm

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”