Koker`S Running Coal-Trol

lutz
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane furnace

Post by lutz » Fri. Dec. 02, 2016 9:28 am

I would love for any other Koker owners using coal-trol to share your settings just to give me an idea. I understand this will vary greatly due to many variables.

My stove is in my unfinished basement using my house duct work as well as my cold air return. My upstairs living area of my rancher is 2000 sf. My reason for asking this is my first two years with my koker and coal-troll, it was kinda all over the place. After many talks with guys from keystoker finally realized my thermostat cable was bad. I changed the cable and this changed things big time for the better. I just want to make sure things are as they should be. Stove seems to take a long time to start blowing warm air.

Min.-12
Max.-86
Keep my thermostat set to 70 all the time.

I have a stove thermometer on front above the door, stove temp reads about 100 when at idle. I have my conv. blower set to come on at a FR of 15. When my blower comes on it washes what little heat the stove has at a FR of 15. I realize I can up my MIN setting and have my conv. blower come on at a much higher FR to build more heat in stove.
What settings do you guys use and what temps do you see at various FR and when stove is at idle. Wanted to check what others have theres set too.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Dec. 02, 2016 11:50 am

In advanced menus you can change the HLF which is heat loss factor which ramps up the feed rate time to respond quicker to heat loads. The default is 0 and can go as high as 2. I changed mine because my Keystoker 90 is sometimes subjected to demands for heat when I open door to the garage. With this change you may have temp overshoots, they try to balance the demand for heat and the rise of temperature to be matched to prevent this at the lower HLF settings.

lutz
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker
Other Heating: Propane furnace

Post by lutz » Fri. Dec. 02, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks, I am holding off playing with the HLF settings just yet. I wanted to see what settings others are using. I haven't adjusted mine to far from what it was set at and was wondering how far I might need to change things.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Fri. Dec. 02, 2016 8:25 pm

Like you said, each heating situation is different, what works for one, may or may not work for another. the factory settings for your type of stove is usually pretty close.

All stoves operate about the same, just the tweaking of the min/max/blower speeds, etc for your stove and heating.

I think my LL Hyfire is running 12min/48max. HLF 1. CFT 2, CFM 30

my stove is in the basement, thermostat in the living room, old 1890 Victorian, cools down fast.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”