Flue Pipe Horizontal?

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Nov. 14, 2016 1:19 am

freetown fred wrote:S, you're WAY over-thinkin this--numbers huh--kinda like polls ;)
Just want to get the most out of this unit as possible. I feel that trying to run my unit at it's maximum output the PV is actually restricting my efforts....again this is strictly my opinion.....and I make this opinion based on flame height..... while running a single stoker I can set it up to have a flame that will just about hit the ceiling of the burn chamber (about 14-16" maybe taller)) so based off this my theory is that I should be able to do that with both stokers correct?? It all comes down to draft, it is very important with this unit to maintain negative pressure in the burn chamber and LL says optimum is -.02. As soon as I light the second stoker and open the 2nd combustion fan gate to anything over 30% and want to build up to that single stoker flame height I pressurize the burn chamber, even turning the PV wide open. My dual stoker maximum flame height is only about 6-8" while maintaining the required draft and actually that is cheating as much as I can running draft about -.01 to -.005. I have seen many fire pics that you guys have posted with the EMF 520's and that sucker will produce on heck of flame...and mine will also but only with one stoker. I get that running a giant flame is just more heat loss out chimney but this is all just my opinion and I don't have anyone to really compare with. When this gets installed in the basement I might be able to really throttle it down also, just don't know yet. These are my own opinions and I could be wrong but time will tell when the new installation is complete and when I get that chimney built I will be able to test it out?
Added note: when I achieve the single stoker high flame my combustion blower gate is about 60-70% open.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Nov. 14, 2016 1:40 am

In thinking about this further and doing some research on the coldest days running my unit flat out I went through 240# a day so 10#/hr. The chart I googled said 1# coal is equal to 12,500 BTU's so that would put me at 125,000 BTU's per hour and my unit is rated at 220,000 BTU's per hour in a perfect world. What would my units output be in the real world with efficiency losses? Not that I'm looking to see how much coal I can burn in a day or how much heat I can lose in the chimney, this is just "for fun" facts!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Nov. 14, 2016 3:11 am

coaledsweat wrote:Not seeing any screws in that stovepipe SMITTY. :shock:
I particularly enjoy the 90 that was twisted into a straight horizontal piece :lol: clever.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Nov. 14, 2016 5:07 am

swyman wrote:In thinking about this further and doing some research on the coldest days running my unit flat out I went through 240# a day so 10#/hr. The chart I googled said 1# coal is equal to 12,500 BTU's so that would put me at 125,000 BTU's per hour and my unit is rated at 220,000 BTU's per hour in a perfect world. What would my units output be in the real world with efficiency losses? Not that I'm looking to see how much coal I can burn in a day or how much heat I can lose in the chimney, this is just "for fun" facts!
Please tell me that you are not going back to the my flame is not big enough path!!!!!!

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Nov. 14, 2016 5:16 am

blrman07 wrote:
Please tell me that you are not going back to the my flame is not big enough path!!!!!!
Just a conversation over a coffee!

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Nov. 14, 2016 5:19 am

blrman07 wrote:
Just a conversation over a coffee! Had all summer to look at all past threads and seen a lot of cool fire pics and got me wondering again! Honestly I think that is just the max of the boiler. The hole on top of the fire chamber then goes to the fire tubes is only so big and can flow so much. I must just be at design limit.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Nov. 14, 2016 5:45 am

I remember your battles with draft from last year, but what I don't remember is if you were pressurizing the flue pipe (not enough draft in the pipe), or if you were pressurizing the fire box. If you were making the firebox go positive, but the flue pipe still had the correct amount of draft, there is not a problem with the power vent. It sounds to me like the two combustion fans are simply able to push in more air than easily flows through the outlet.

Regardless, the idea is to get a feed rate that meets your heat demand, and adjust the air to get a correct fire pattern on the grate. It sounds like you have been able to do that, so there is nothing to worry about. Your boiler is going to have an easier time with the load once you get it moved anyway. More heat will go into the house, and having the load split in multiple zones will help as well.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Nov. 14, 2016 6:34 am

Rob R. wrote:I remember your battles with draft from last year, but what I don't remember is if you were pressurizing the flue pipe (not enough draft in the pipe), or if you were pressurizing the fire box. If you were making the firebox go positive, but the flue pipe still had the correct amount of draft, there is not a problem with the power vent. It sounds to me like the two combustion fans are simply able to push in more air than easily flows through the outlet.
And that was exactly it, can go positive in firebox but still pulling draft out the vent breech. I'm a touchy feely guy but this boiler does not like to be played with!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”