Low Cost Chimney Sweep in SE CT

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Oct. 16, 2016 6:14 am

Looking for a low cost sweep to do a very short chimney on a single story flat roof. My regular one has vanished or at least their cell phone has. Hired 2 others and 2 no shows while I hung out for 4 hours waiting. No call no email no nothing. The chimney has around 4 tons of Blaschack burned with a faint amount of light grey in the stack looking in the draft regulator and mostly the black coating from stack pipe, wondering if I just blow it off this year. 5 ft. of Dura-plus stainless outside and 7 ft. of single wall inside. Tapping on single wall it rings and seems very solid. Maybe 1 inch of ash in bottom elbow off the stove. I would think there are plenty of people that have burned double that in one year and just fine. All was new in 2011 and first 3 years on evil wood with a different stove LOL.

I have been paying $75.00 a year since 2012 and same guy never spent more than 30 minutes here and usually 15 or 20 so seems fair as far as money goes.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 16, 2016 8:00 am

Probably be nice if ya find someone, but I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over skipping a year or 2 if needed. I do my 6" pipe (25') every year & always only come up with a cup or so of grey ash.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Oct. 16, 2016 10:49 am

Kind of what I thought freetown fred. Will get a fresh start on that next spring and get it out of the way early. It is looking like highs of mid 50's and lows 38-43 in about a week so no more time to play around.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Oct. 16, 2016 11:07 am

I have had no need to clean my chimney since switching to coal. The creosote that was present flaked off in sheets until clean and it has remained so ever since. Stovepipe to the chimney, yes. The horizontal run does collect ash and I clean it once a year.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”