Time for a Tune up

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Fri. Jul. 29, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi all....I chose today to change the oil filter and the burner nozzle on my oil boiler. I also cleaned out the little DHW coal boiler and fired it up just to make sure all was OK.

I have the coal boiler piped to the oil boiler with a line coming off to go to a plate type heat exchanger. That way we can heat the house with the coal boiler, heat only the DHW, or do both with either oil or coal.

I love diversity.

Last year I fired up on Sept 19th. It's only 9 weeks away. Don' t let it sneak up on you. Get your coal, clean and check your equipment. Be ready. :D

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jul. 30, 2016 6:48 am

Real good advice Padre!! :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jul. 30, 2016 7:37 am

Good idea. Last fall I serviced my oil boiler for the first time in 3-4 years. It had burned less than a full tank of fuel in that time, but a nozzle is still very cheap maintenance. I have never had any visible soot in the boiler since I installed a Riello burner, but I give it a good brushing anyway.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Jul. 30, 2016 7:56 am

In the four years we have been here we have burned maybe 3 tanks of oil. Our DHW comes from the oil boiler during the warm weather months. Nozzles and filters are cheap. Only around $10.

Very cheap for some peace of mind. :up: :up:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”