SS Chimney Issues

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Jun. 28, 2016 4:19 pm

I posted about this issue once before, but am frustrated again!

I had a new SS chimney installed by a local chimney company several years ago which wasn't cheap. The system consists of 12' double wall SS exterior pipe with a SS cap manufactured by Metal-Fab. About 2 years ago I had the top 4' section of pipe and cap replaced under warranty due to excessive corrosion. Dealing with Metal-Fab for warranty items is a nightmare. I had to warranty the parts through the chimney company that installed the system. That took several months and was like pulling teeth to get them to cooperate. The guy from the chimney company showed up to document the damage and the first thing he asked me was when did I have a chimney fire. I laughed at him and said it's impossible to have a chimney fire with a coal stove. You think the guy would know that, he's in the chimney business! Needless to say I finally got a new section of pipe a cap installed...months later. I now have rusting roof shingles and a nice rust stain across my concrete patio from the cap.

Well, the cap has since rusted out again and is barely attached at this point due to severe corrosion. So I contacted Metal-Fab early to get the ball rolling since I have all summer to fight with them. The product I purchased is listed for use with multiple fuels including coal, but then the warranty states that if the product is subject to corrosive environments then it may void the warranty. The warranty claim form also states that the system needs to be professionally swept annually. Sweeping a chimney is not rocket science and is much cheaper for me to do it. So I guess I'm the professional chimney sweep...haha! So really, what good is the warranty? I understand that coal is corrosive, but the pipe should last a bit longer than 2 years...no? A buddy of mine told me that there are different grades of SS and that better quality SS is non-metallic. Well my chimney happens to be magnetic, possibly a cheaper grade of SS? My chimney parts are covered 100% for the first 10 years, then there is a fee to replace them. At this rate Metal-Fab is losing money. Sooner or later their not going to replace my parts and will claim that the coal is too corrosive for the material. There is so much written in the warranty form that it's like a novel. Their really covering their rear ends!

Has anyone ever ran into an issue with their SS chimney not holding up? What brands are you guys using?

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Jun. 28, 2016 4:53 pm

I can't help a whole lot, but being on Long Island.........that could be considered a 'corrosive environment'. Salty air is corrosive.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Jun. 28, 2016 5:08 pm

Wet coal and low stack temperature will dramatically shorten the life of SS chimney sections, especially near the top where temperatures are lowest.

I replaced last fall,four 4 ft. sections and rain cap, of Metalbestos, under warranty. This was after 8 years. The tee at the bottom where temperatures are highest was fine.

Two phone calls and E-mailed pictures of the damage was all it took to get new pieces in about three weeks.

Yes there are better alloys.

Attachments

IMG_1161.JPG
.JPG | 184KB | IMG_1161.JPG

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jun. 28, 2016 5:34 pm

I agree with Don about the salty environment. Those that arent using their chimneys as long per year have more problems. I am using mine about 8-8 1/2 months per year burning something thru it, not always coal, but I have little rust issues. Many here only use chimneys a few months a year so they have longer to rust. Mine is a supervent brand, nothing great.

Caps, although it sounds like they rust our roofs (I still think the coal is partly to blame because Im stubborn lol) are keeping some rain out of chimneys too. Rust is just the nature of the beast I guess.

Good luck getting the warranty work done again, hopefully as easily as franco did.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Jun. 29, 2016 1:21 pm

Try an AL29 piece Tommy. That's what mine is made out of and so far it's been good.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Jun. 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks Scott. Metal-Fab gave the ok for SW Anderson (a Metal-Fab distributor) to replace my cap under their warranty. Let's see how long this one lasts. Funny, the response from Metal-Fab states that oil and coal are the most corrosive fuels to burn, yet my oil burner chimney cap looks brand new and it was on their when I bought the house over 6 years ago.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Jun. 29, 2016 11:25 pm

tcalo wrote:Funny, the response from Metal-Fab states that oil and coal are the most corrosive fuels to burn, yet my oil burner chimney cap looks brand new and it was on their when I bought the house over 6 years ago.
If the oil burner runs all year, that would explain it.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Jul. 02, 2016 1:41 pm

My 2 cents .. for what its worth, being off the Long Island Sound myself .....

When I went to install my liner & stove I examined rigid and flexible pipe. Hitzer recommended that I stay away from rigid liners as they thought that the corrosion resistance was lower than the flexible liners. Perhaps due to to being a product that is installed in sections vs a single walled liner? Hmmm..looks like you had a 12' section (other sections?)

8 yrs later, no corrosion problems. I scope mine (well, 6 ft down anyway)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”