How Does This Chimney Pass Inspection? No 10-3-2 Rule

skobydog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Post by skobydog » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 8:48 am

I drive by this home all the time and see this chimney burning what I believe is wood. The 10 3 2 rule does not seem to be in effect. I wonder how did this pass inspection and how is he able to burn anything and obtain proper draft? Maybe I'm missing something?

I have ask, I drive by this every day and it's been bugging me for the past two years, lol.

Attachments

ridgeline chimney.jpg
.JPG | 229.6KB | ridgeline chimney.jpg

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 9:22 am

I wonder if the homeowner has a Russian or Finnish stove masonry stove with
multiple passages to burn all the smoke and store the heat.

The home owner most likely does have a masonry stove if you see no smoke or
a secret heating system that has not been patented yet using a thorium super fuel
reactor :lol:

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 9:30 am

I think you mean the 2-10-3 rule which says the chimney should be 2' taller than anything within 10' and 3' taller than where it passes through the roof. Probably was never inspected. It looks pretty close to complying.

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 10:17 am

Most chimneys you have to look up where this one is level with my view. Maybe it's just the angle that I'm looking at it from.

The building inspector around here is strict (at least that's what I'm told).

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 11:56 am

SD, just from your pix, I'd say he's well within code. Damn people that don't do things the way I think it should be done around here, piss me off! ;)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 12:16 pm

I used the quick technique of finding known-sized objects in the picture to use as the "ruler". Then I enlarged the picture to gain more accuracy using that to measure the distance from the chimney horizontally to the roof with dividers.

If those are standard 8 inch long red bricks, scaling off from the chimney top to the closest point of the roof (no more than 10 brick lengths) is only about 7 feet, not ten feet. And the chimney is not two foot above that, much less above a ten foot horizontal line to the roof.

Could be the owner runs the wood stove so hot that it always keeps a strong draft and won't back draft ?

I have to do that with my 4 foot wide fireplace whenever it's windy because they set the slate cap too low to allow large enough opening square area for the size of the fireplace when wind pressure blocks off one or two of those chimney cap openings. :mad:

Paul

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 1:19 pm

freetown fred wrote:SD, just from your pix, I'd say he's well within code. Damn people that don't do things the way I think it should be done around here, piss me off! ;)
I don't care what other people do around here............as long as they don't come snoopin' around my home. :P

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 1:22 pm

I had no doubt about that SD. Plus, hell, ya got a 50-93--that shows incredible common sense in my book ;) Just goofin on my own goofy THOUGHTS sometimes. :)

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 1:31 pm

2-10-3 can be called a rule, or a guideline, or a recommendation. Presumably if you follow the guideline you will not have trouble. But if you don't build it to spec it still may work fine, if you're lucky. Maybe this guy is lucky. Peek in a window and see if there's as much smoke inside the house as outside. ;)
peep.jpg
.JPG | 63.7KB | peep.jpg

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 2:09 pm

freetown fred wrote:I had no doubt about that SD. Plus, hell, ya got a 50-93--that shows incredible common sense in my book ;) Just goofin on my own goofy THOUGHTS sometimes. :)
I know Fred, it's all good..............that doesn't mean you can come snoopin' around here though. :)

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 2:11 pm

rberq wrote:2-10-3 can be called a rule, or a guideline, or a recommendation. Presumably if you follow the guideline you will not have trouble. But if you don't build it to spec it still may work fine, if you're lucky. Maybe this guy is lucky. Peek in a window and see if there's as much smoke inside the house as outside. ;)
peep.jpg
That's funny...........I just drive by 2 or 3 times a day and always wonder. His wood pile keeps getting smaller so something's working for him.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 2:25 pm

Maybe its a Tardis .. bigger on the inside....

I would not an issue with the draft from what I see (and you say he is using it..soo).

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 5:05 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:Maybe its a Tardis .. bigger on the inside....

I would not an issue with the draft from what I see (and you say he is using it..soo).
Don't tell him the secret to the chimney...spoilers! :cheers:

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 6:33 pm

rberq wrote:2-10-3 can be called a rule, or a guideline, or a recommendation. Presumably if you follow the guideline you will not have trouble. But if you don't build it to spec it still may work fine, if you're lucky. Maybe this guy is lucky. Peek in a window and see if there's as much smoke inside the house as outside. ;)
peep.jpg
Yes, it is a minimum recommendation. A good chimney builder would never do the minimum, he would explain to the homeowner that ideal conditions don't often exist and, to be sure that under a variety of scenarios the chimney functions well, one should build it taller than minimum fire code requirement.

If the fire is burned hot, and/or the home has a lot of infiltration he may be ok. Lots of people with poor chimneys are used to "making them work" by cracking a window or burning fairly hot all the time.

I bet he'd be amazed at the performance though if he extended it another 5' or so (ideally a few feet past the peak).

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Feb. 21, 2016 8:30 am

Not my ideal chimney. But looks to be within the 3 - 10 - 2 guide rule.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”