DENNIS BAUER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 7:36 am

Good Morning Everyone,
I got up this morning and was tending the stove. I installed a Monometer (Dwyer II) this winter. We are having very high wind day with heavy rains which is uncommon for us this time of year. Typically its snow. They say that we might break a high temp record today.

So here's my concern,
The monometer was going from .03 to -.05. (I have it hooked up on the high side so I can get the better scale like most do here.) Normal readings are .02-.03, dead middle between the two. My Baro is opening and closing as it should to bring the reading back to the .03 when the wind blows but it still hits the -.05. It only last of a second or two.

Co alarm next to the stove is still reading "0", and no smell of rotten eggs. Stove is running good.

Do I have any concerns with letting the stove run through the day, We are going to warm up into the 50* range today and I'm not 100% on what my draft would be in normal warm conditions let alone this high wind due to only having the monometer installed for a short time.

Thank you

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 7:46 am

DENNIS BAUER wrote:Good Morning Everyone,
I got up this morning and was tending the stove. I installed a Monometer (Dwyer II) this winter. We are having very high wind day with heavy rains which is uncommon for us this time of year. Typically its snow. They say that we might break a high temp record today.

So here's my concern,
The monometer was going from .03 to -.05. (I have it hooked up on the high side so I can get the better scale like most do here.) Normal readings are .02-.03, dead middle between the two. My Baro is opening and closing as it should to bring the reading back to the .03 when the wind blows but it still hits the -.05. It only last of a second or two.

Co alarm next to the stove is still reading "0", and no smell of rotten eggs. Stove is running good.

Do I have any concerns with letting the stove run through the day, We are going to warm up into the 50* range today and I'm not 100% on what my draft would be in normal warm conditions let alone this high wind due to only having the monometer installed for a short time.

Thank you
Hi DENNIS, when you said..."I have it hooked up on the high side so I can get the better scale like most do here."...did you mean the "low side" so the fluid moves to the right?

It sounds like your baro is working as it should and .05 is considered within the normal operating range for most if not all hand fed stoves. I am assuming you are talking about the Hitzer. Many folks with a hand fed stove with a bi-metal thermostat let the device handle the draft without a baro but as we know this topic has been kicked around countless times and I understand each install varies based on the conditions involved.

MA

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 7:49 am

michaelanthony wrote:
DENNIS BAUER wrote:Good Morning Everyone,

So here's my concern,

Thank you
Hi DENNIS, when you said..."I have it hooked up on the high side so I can get the better scale like most do here."...did you mean the "low side" so the fluid moves to the right?

It sounds like your baro is working as it should and .05 is considered within the normal operating range for most if not all hand fed stoves. I am assuming you are talking about the Hitzer. Many folks with a hand fed stove with a bi-metal thermostat let the device handle the draft without a baro but as we know this topic has been kicked around countless times and I understand each install varies based on the conditions involved.

MA
Sorry should have been a little more clear. Yes on the low side so the fluid moves to the Right. I knew I wasn't going to get that correct.

And the Baro is hooked up on the Keystoker 105 That is in the house. Not the Hitzer in the Garage.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:02 am

During windy times I'll see spikes up to -.08 but only for short time. ON a hand fed, this equates into the stove running 10-15 degrees warmer than usual (as read on a digital thermometer) which shows very little if any increase in heat output. If you want to see just how well the baro is working, try pinning it shut for a few minutes and wait for a wind gust.

As far as CO is concerned, windy conditions would only have an adverse effect if the reading went to the other side of the zero from a down draft situation. This could happen under the right circumstances, like if the chimney doesn't extend above the roof peak with the wind direction just the right way.

Don't forget to pull the tube off and check for zero every couple weeks.
Tweak the calibration knob if needed.
Last edited by Lightning on Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks for the clarification, sorry I can't help with the KeyStoker but my gut tells me all is good.

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:24 am

Lightning wrote:During windy times I'll see spikes up to -.08 but only for short time. ON a hand fed, this equates into the stove running 10-15 degrees warmer than usual (as read on a digital thermometer) which shows very little if any increase in heat output. If you want to see just how well the baro is working, try pinning it shut for a few minutes and wait for a wind gust.

As far as CO is concerned, windy conditions would only have an adverse effect if the reading went to the other side of the zero from a down draft situation. This could happen under the right circumstances, like if the chimney doesn't extend above the roof peak with the wind direction just the right way.

Don't forget to pull the tube off and check for zero every couple weeks.
Tweak the calibration knob if needed.
I'm wondering if it is a down draft issue or if with the high winds the draft spikes, the baro opens fully to adjust draft then the draft falls to far. As soon as the baro comes closed the draft drops to far. I'm just wondering if it's more of an over shoot verse being a down draft issue.

EDIT: I pull the tube off and make sure the monometer is zero's a least once a week.

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:25 am

michaelanthony wrote:Thanks for the clarification, sorry I can't help with the KeyStoker but my gut tells me all is good.
Thanks for the quick replay either way. I should have been more clear.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:31 am

DENNIS BAUER wrote:
I'm wondering if it is a down draft issue or if with the high winds the draft spikes, the baro opens fully to adjust draft then the draft falls to far. As soon as the baro comes closed the draft drops to far. I'm just wondering if it's more of an over shoot verse being a down draft issue.

EDIT: I pull the tube off and make sure the monometer is zero's a least once a week.
Are you saying that the draft goes to the other side of zero at times ?

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:32 am

When you say the baro slams shut and the mano reads down too far, just how far does it go? Does it ever cross zero or just dip down close to it?

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:33 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:
DENNIS BAUER wrote:

Are you saying that the draft goes to the other side of zero at times ?
Correct. Normal running +.02 to +.03 (dead middle between), this morning with heavy wind gust saw stove go to the left of zero to -.03 to -.05. then quickly swing back up into the positives.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:36 am

Oooooooo - that's not an overshoot. It's going positive pressure from a down draft. If you hold your nose over the baro when it dips below zero I'm betting you smell sulfur.

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:39 am

Lightning wrote:Oooooooo - that's not an overshoot. It's going positive pressure from a down draft. If you hold your nose over the baro when it dips below zero I'm betting you smell sulfur.
Not at all, I even dug the coal back away from the opening in the bottom to be positive. Even had the girlfriend stick her head in there as well just to make sure

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:44 am

Too funny, "honey come stick yer head in here and sniff" lol.

Okay man, I'm impressed you don't get any sulfur smell. :)

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:49 am

Lightning wrote:Too funny, "honey come stick yer head in here and sniff" lol.

Okay man, I'm impressed you don't get any sulfur smell. :)
Ha me as well.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 03, 2016 8:50 am

Normally, windy conditions cause the negative pressure to spike stronger. But in your case it's having the opposite effect, if i'm understanding everything.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”