Barometric Damper Movement

dshaft4
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker Lite

Post by dshaft4 » Thu. Jan. 14, 2016 6:25 pm

I have a Keystoker Koker Lite direct vent. This is my 3rd year running it. Everything has been good up to this point....no real issues.
Lately I've noticed that the barometric damper kind of slides on the pivot pins away from the exhaust after it's been running for a while.
It gets far enough away or slightly cocked so that it stops opening. Nothing has moved as far as I can tell.
Draft is steady -.03 at the draft port. Any ideas? Thanks.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 14, 2016 6:50 pm

I am having a hard time picturing what you described. Sounds like it might be a simple leveling issue, but a picture would help.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jan. 14, 2016 8:05 pm

What do you mean away from the exhaust? It should be free to move a little side to side and a little in and out. If it won't swing free, it must be rubbing somewhere. Look around the disc where it comes close to the pipe. It should have some clearance. Perhaps a piece of tubing or washer on a pin can correct that.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jan. 14, 2016 9:52 pm

The field RC if that is what it is, uses a pivot that rolls on a flat surface. As such the movement displaces the location by part of the circumference of the pivot pin. I agree with Rob to place a level or plumb bob vertically across the face of the control. It probably is leaning outward. That type of pivot is simple and cheap, but also just about as friction free as possible and a very good selection, but if it hits the restraints it fails.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jan. 15, 2016 6:37 am

There are two places they hang up. Around the edge of the disc against the pipe and the little stop tab on the right side. It is a small bent tab that goes through the housing and can rub. Often, the TEE itself is out of round and will catch the edge of the disc, so check that the disc does not contact the housing anywhere. The tab is just over the pin on the right. It can hang up at the top of it, a tweak with a needlenose plier is the cure. I have also seen them hang up on a installation screw that was a little to long.

dshaft4
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker Lite

Post by dshaft4 » Sat. Jan. 16, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks for the ideas coaledsweat. I did notice one of the screws is way longer than the other one. I'll take a look at the rest of it.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”