Chimney Connection Question

oeespo
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 82FA
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite NUT

Post by oeespo » Thu. Jan. 21, 2016 7:31 pm

Can anyone interpret what nfpa211 in regards to stovepipe to ceiling clearance. I'm filling out paperwork for insurance company. Now I'm reading duct has to be 18" from combustibles for first 3ft then 6" for next three Ft. that will tough since the furnace and main are so close to Hitzer.
Last edited by oeespo on Thu. Jan. 21, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Jan. 21, 2016 7:43 pm

Are you talking about stove pipe clearance or hot air duct clearances?

oeespo

Post by oeespo » Thu. Jan. 21, 2016 8:14 pm

Stove pipe. Sorry for the confusion. I just keep reading and more restrictions. More and more codes. Getting frustrated. Its becoming to look only feasible for a new house!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jan. 21, 2016 9:22 pm

oeespo wrote:Can anyone interpret what nfpa211 in regards to stovepipe to ceiling clearance. I'm filling out paperwork for insurance company. Now I'm reading duct has to be 18" from combustibles for first 3ft then 6" for next three Ft. that will tough since the furnace and main are so close to Hitzer.
18" from combustibles unless protected by shield or insulation.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Thu. Jan. 21, 2016 10:14 pm

If i'm reading what you posted correctly, the first 3 feet of your flue must be 18 inches from combustibles. Measure the first 3 feet coming out of your stove, is anything 'combustible' ( wood/cloth/plastic, etc. ) within 18 inches?

Now measure the next 3 feet, is anything 'combustible' (wood/cloth/plastic, etc.) within 6 inches of the flue?

Metal is not combustible.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Fri. Jan. 22, 2016 7:18 am

Where are you getting this from in NFPA 211? What's the chapter and verse?

I find 18" unprotected and reduction of 50% is allowed when properly protected?

oeespo

Post by oeespo » Fri. Jan. 22, 2016 3:47 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
oeespo wrote:Can anyone interpret what nfpa211 in regards to stovepipe to ceiling clearance. I'm filling out paperwork for insurance company. Now I'm reading duct has to be 18" from combustibles for first 3ft then 6" for next three Ft. that will tough since the furnace and main are so close to Hitzer.
18" from combustibles unless protected by shield or insulation.
So 18" is the combustibles. Ii am at 9" to ceiling from stovepipe horizontal entering the clay thimble (basically my thimble is in the second coarse down). The nine inch however, measures to the hearth in the above fireplace which is concrete (non -combustible) the closest floor joist from flue pipe is 12". So I plan to put 16 gauge sheetmetal in to reduce the 18" to 9" (50%) and I should be good on the flue side. The plenum side is another days problem. Right now I just want some heat. Forms and and pictures submitted to insurance company today. It has to go to underwriter. l hope and pray all goes well.

Attachments

82_FA_Install.jpg
.JPG | 229.1KB | 82_FA_Install.jpg

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Fri. Jan. 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Putting the 24 gauge sheet metal on 1 inch spacer away from the joist will reduce your clearance required by 50%. What you posted looks like something out of a Hitzer manual not FFPA211.

Where did you get the variying clearance?

oeespo

Post by oeespo » Fri. Jan. 22, 2016 8:39 pm

blrman07 wrote:Putting the 24 gauge sheet metal on 1 inch spacer away from the joist will reduce your clearance required by 50%. What you posted looks like something out of a Hitzer manual not FFPA211.

Where did you get the variying clearance?
I used 16 gauge cause that's what I had.

Yep that clearance diagram was from Hitzer manual. It didn't read clear to me on the stovepipe to ceiling requirement.

Varying clearances? That was when I was looking into the hot air exhaust. I figured I could just tie it in based on convenience but apparently it must conform to clearance from combustibles also. This means I will be ducking under all this hot air plenum tie-ins. Not happy! These varied dimensions, are from the State Farm solid fuel checklist. If the heater is a central furnace or add on unit, it is necessary to have adequate clearances from the plenum and hot air ducts. The plenum 18" from combustibles, hot air duct 18" for 3ft and 6in for next three feet. Anyone recognize this as NFPA or other code?

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”