Going With Under Floor Radiant, Have a Few Questions

TSox

Post by TSox » Thu. Jan. 14, 2016 1:55 pm

joeblack5 wrote:I used 3/4 pex with oxygen barrier against the bottom of the oak 1" subfloor. Then there is another 1" oak tongue and groove floor. I wanted 3/4 so that I could have more flow with a smaller pump. Also the larger circumference radiates more. Did not use aluminum plates. Increased the length of the run by zig zagging it in between floor joists. Later I read that sometimes pex in aluminum makes sound because of the different expansion / contraction ratio of pex versus aluminum....

Later J
I'm using 1/2" because it is the standard and much cheaper. When I laid these systems in concrete, the engineer would always design a system for 1/2" whenever possible and only used 3/4" if the heat load exceeded what 1/2" could deliver.

I'm sure your system works (as was said above, I've yet to hear about one that doesn't) but I have to wonder if there is any real benefit to 3/4" over 1/2"? I have also spoken to dozens of people now that have put this in and any complaints I've heard about noise came from people that DIDN'T use plates :? . If the plates are installed correctly, there should be zero expansion noise. In any case the 1/2" tubing, plates and manifolds are here so that's what I'll be using.

:D

TSox

Post by TSox » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 10:34 am

Ok, time for another dumb question.

I was discussing my install yesterday with some of the guys at my church (a few of which have installed radiant lately) and one of them mentioned using rolls of unused potato chip bags from the local chip factory as a free heat reflector :shock: . It turns out the factory throws away rolls of the chip bag material when it is misprinted and he knows someone that can get me a couple rolls. This is a heavy foil type material in 20" wide rolls. It is much more reflective than any foil insulation I've seen. I was a little concerned of a fire hazard but we tried a lighter to this and some bubble foil and this stuff was harder to light. Below is a picture of a bag of chips in the exact stuff I'm talking about. I forgot to take a picture of the actual roll of material but the inside is highly reflective.

Do you think this stuff would help at all or is it just a waste of my time?

Attachments

thT0K8BXD2.jpg
.JPG | 16KB | thT0K8BXD2.jpg

n0useforaname
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Baseboard Electric Backup

Post by n0useforaname » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 11:01 am

I feel like you would still need some type of insulation.. something has to hold heat in and keep cold out. Maybe put that on top of fiberglass? I dunno, but considering how expensive and big of a project this is.. I would spend the money and do it right. Or I should say.. ONE of the right ways.. since there is about 40 different ways to do it.

TSox

Post by TSox » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 11:31 am

I have already decided to add some fiberglass insulation. I'm just wondering if this stuff is worth the time it will take to put in.

n0useforaname
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Baseboard Electric Backup

Post by n0useforaname » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 12:12 pm

My understanding is, if you leave a 4" gap, it would probably help a bit. But if you already have the fiberglass up.... I wouldn't bother.

TSox

Post by TSox » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Nothing is up yet. I am still finishing up some wiring and other jobs . The ceilings will be own for a bit so I have some time. I just want to make sure I make the right decision when the time comes. No going back once the drywall is up :D .

The price is right for this stuff but it will take some time to put up. Time is something I don't have enough of as it is ;) .

Brodi

Post by Brodi » Fri. May. 28, 2021 1:37 pm

The air gap between the insulation and the floor is essential, and it is better to use composite materials for this. Sometimes people use fiberglass insulation because it also reduces noise. I have installed a warm floor for the winter, insulated it from moisture, and then put https://viaductimports.com.au I also want to make a summer gazebo with vinyl boards, but I'm afraid they can deteriorate from the climate and moisture. How do you think it will work? Will it be reliable and durable? I appreciate any help you can provide.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”