Stove Pipe Heat Into Return Duct

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 6:24 pm

So on a hand fed appliance like my New Yorker boiler, when up and running good, the stack temps hover around 300-400 degree's, which would make a majic heat reclaimer useful, I am using a water to air heat exchanger in my oil furnace to heat my house, the return duct runs directly over my New Yorker.

Thoughts and opinions of installing a majic heat reclaimer or some other device (homemade) in the stove pipe and piping it to the return duct work sending heated air to the return, capturing the heat being sent up the chimney. I have a superior draft, requiring two barometric dampeners, so loss of draft from taking heat from chimney would not be an issue for me. I know these appliances do throw good heat when running, my father in law has one on each hand fed saey Hannover stove and they work quite well.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 7:04 pm

I think in your case with that crazy draft you have, one of those heat re-claimers would work well. Be careful about plumbing it into the return duct. I like the idea, and you should get some more heat that way but, if that thing ever has an internal failure, your HVAC system will spread that CO through you home quickly.

-Don

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 7:29 pm

I've given that thought; but it would have to be a very freak thing, there in thousands of homes I'm sure, and the father in law has had the one in his house for close to 8 years with no problem, and that was with the higher temps of burning wood also.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 8:24 pm

StokerDon wrote:I think in your case with that crazy draft you have, one of those heat re-claimers would work well. Be careful about plumbing it into the return duct. I like the idea, and you should get some more heat that way but, if that thing ever has an internal failure, your HVAC system will spread that CO through you home quickly.

-Don
hotblast1357 wrote:I've given that thought; but it would have to be a very freak thing, there in thousands of homes I'm sure, and the father in law has had the one in his house for close to 8 years with no problem, and that was with the higher temps of burning wood also.
I'm thinking he means tapping flue gas into the proximity of your duct system...that's not common. :|

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 8:26 pm

no I know its not, it is just as much a worry with a coal furnace, a weld or something could crack, causing flue gas to be introduced into the whole house rapidly.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 8:37 pm

Would there be much difference, in the amount of CO, between having it on a stove flue in your main living area with a fan blowing air through it or tying it into the duct work? And I wonder with the strong draft HB has, would the flue side of the re-claimer have a negative pressure anyway?

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 8:41 pm

Well I would say, that if worst came to worst, my plenum fan would deff over power my chimney, my fan pulls .1" of water column, and my chimney is only pulling .02" of water column after the baro's.

but like I was saying, its no different than on a stove, blowing it into the living space.

I just wonder if it would be worth the installation.

Maybe I will have to find out the temp output of my father in laws, while burning coal, and see what kind of air temps it can put out, so I can figure out how much it would potentially raise my return duct temps.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 9:05 pm

If you're set on capturing that heat, how about winding some copper tubing around it and thermosiphon the heat off the stovepipe into a tempering tank or an upstairs radiator/bb of your choice. :idea:

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 9:11 pm

McGiever wrote:If you're set on capturing that heat, how about winding some copper tubing around it and thermosiphon the heat off the stovepipe into a tempering tank or an upstairs radiator/bb of your choice. :idea:
Well I thought about wrapping copper around it, and pre heating my dhw coil.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 10:45 pm

The $1700 super coil... you know you want it! :woot:

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Jan. 05, 2016 6:24 am

I don't have a big enough heat load for that kind of horsepower! It's only -3 here right now! It would have to be somewhere around absolute zero for that to be unleashed!

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Jan. 05, 2016 6:43 am

hotblast1357 wrote:I don't have a big enough heat load for that kind of horsepower! It's only -3 here right now! It would have to be somewhere around absolute zero for that to be unleashed!
You would get your money back in no time because it puts out more BTU's than it takes in and you can sell the excess!!! :roll:

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Jan. 05, 2016 6:47 am

Lol I could probably even burn "free" wood!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”