Pumpless Recirculation Loop for Domestic Hot Water?

pine grove coal user
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H. S. Tarm, model 202, 1980
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Reading 'bucket a day' stove in storage, waiting for attention
Coal Size/Type: Pea, from Little Buck mine
Other Heating: New Yorker oil burner which almost never runs, thanks to the Tarm!

Post by pine grove coal user » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 7:52 pm

My boiler is at one end of the house, my kitchen is at the other. I am tired of wasting so much water waiting for hot water. But I don't want to have a pump running 24/7/365. Is it possible to install a recirculation loop for domestic hot water WITHOUT the use of a pump?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 8:06 pm

pine grove coal user wrote:My boiler is at one end of the house, my kitchen is at the other. I am tired of wasting so much water waiting for hot water. But I don't want to have a pump running 24/7/365. Is it possible to install a recirculation loop for domestic hot water WITHOUT the use of a pump?
I have no idea how it could be done without electronics, but here are a few electronic options, one of which claims to cost as little as $2 per year to operate.

http://aquamotionhvac.com/hot-recirculation-systems/

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 8:20 pm

Nice Job,Larry ! This one had me thinking hard,but offhand,I couldn't come up with anything recirculating using ambient house system pressure. If You're on Well and Septic,these little gems sure look like they can help out. Another thought would also be to insulate Your hot water lines to minimize how long it takes to get useful hot water at the tap. :up: :gee:

pine grove coal user
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H. S. Tarm, model 202, 1980
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Reading 'bucket a day' stove in storage, waiting for attention
Coal Size/Type: Pea, from Little Buck mine
Other Heating: New Yorker oil burner which almost never runs, thanks to the Tarm!

Post by pine grove coal user » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks. I looked at this. I don't understand how this could work without a return line. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? Do they work as advertised?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 8:26 pm

pine grove coal user wrote:Thanks. I looked at this. I don't understand how this could work without a return line. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? Do they work as advertised?
Lower down they have return line options as well.

I suggest calling them. I can only speculate (OK, guess) that the no return line model dumps cold water into the drain as needed until the line is hot, then it shuts off, waits for the water to cool, and repeats. Sort of like the "rejection ratio" issue with an under the sink RO water purifying system, which rejects about 10 gallons of water (and dumps them down the drain) for every gallon of purified water that it generates.
Last edited by lsayre on Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Run a small return line.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 8:27 pm

you have a check/temp valve between the hot and cold at the furthest faucet, it recirculates from the hot side to the cold side. so the cold might be luke warm when your first turn it on if it just circulated, but should get cold rather quickly.

somthing like this

http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/IHWRS.asp

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”