Stove Pipe Through Ceiling and Roof

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Tue. Dec. 29, 2015 2:51 pm

I have a 400sf room with 12' cathedral ceiling.Why can't I just run black stove pipe straight up out of my stove,thru ceiling,and thru roof?I would use shielding thru roof and ceiling,and terminate pipe 3' higher than roof peak.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Dec. 29, 2015 2:55 pm

IMO you absolutely can.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 29, 2015 3:19 pm

You'd have to switch to double/triple wall through ceiling/ roof-w/ shield/ collar & up. They make it to take the 6" black.

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Tue. Dec. 29, 2015 3:41 pm

It just seems too easy...Straight up and out.no elbows,a warm stack,more radiant heat.The perfect chimney can be very inexpensive.It might not be permanent,but easy maintenance.Lucky to have these conditions for my new/old stove.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 29, 2015 3:46 pm

Straight up and out always performs the best. Black pipe won't last more than a season in the outside elements though. Black pipe to the ceiling and stainless from there is the best compromise if you want it to last a long time.

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.

Post by fifthg » Tue. Dec. 29, 2015 3:58 pm

I am using 7" pipe,a little harder to find,but I can get it.I was also wondering about how copper pipe would last.I could see making some out of a sheet,if it can't be bought.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Dec. 29, 2015 4:10 pm

I would think the acidic content of fly ash would chew through copper rapidly. You could wrap the base metal stove pipe with thin copper sheet as an alternative.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Tue. Dec. 29, 2015 4:25 pm

fifthg wrote:I am using 7" pipe,a little harder to find,but I can get it.I was also wondering about how copper pipe would last.I could see making some out of a sheet,if it can't be bought.
no go... the sulphur would eat it for lunch. :lol: plus it would cost a fortune too :lol:

I prefer Robs idea... heaviest, best deal, black pipe you can get... strait shot up... then transition to the stainless 2/3 wall... its the best answer and the lowest cost (how often can you get your cake & eat it too!) :clap: .... cap it, to baro or not to baro... this is the next question... Dougie is outa here! :out:

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Tue. Dec. 29, 2015 4:49 pm

fifthg wrote:Straight up and out.no elbows,a warm stack,more radiant heat.The perfect chimney
That's exactly how mine is, 13 feet of stove pipe (Lot's of heat radiating from that :D ) and 8 feet of triple wall. Do use bracing, I made it from 1/2 inch EMT and fabed my own collar, on the triple wall. I do have an MPD but no Baro, I keep debating on that, but so far have had no real need. I run the MPD damped down completely almost all the time and the stove just idles along 8-)

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.

Post by fifthg » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 10:15 am

I found 6 and 8inch ceiling thru roof kits for the chimney.No 7" found.What do you think of just going with 8" stainless kit,and then slipping my 7" black pipe right up thru that to top?

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 10:21 am

Can you find an adapter 7" to 8" coming off the stove & just run all 8"--or a reducer going to 6' & going all 6".

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.

Post by fifthg » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 10:27 am

There are adapters,I thought it best to stay 7",if that is what it was designed for.I figured getting an 8" kit and slipping my 7" pipe in it would be easy and low maintenance.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 11:13 am

If it behaves anything like mine, I doubt you would have any problem with draft even with the six inch. The only time I notice it being sluggish is a cold start on a rainy 50* day, nothing a couple pieces of newspaper won't fix. Start up or tending is the only time it's wide open any other time it's damped down.

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.

Post by fifthg » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 11:45 am

with such an efficient,straight up and out set-up,I guess I could be talked into reducing to 6" pipe.There are economic advantages with that.Looking likely...

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 01, 2016 6:19 pm

More impt. then economic F, is it will work safely & properly. :)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”