Chimney Update

Freespirit
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Pea or Nut

Post by Freespirit » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 9:25 am

I had a guy come yesterday he is a general contractor he climbed up and looked at my chimney. He said that the liner that I have was put in in 2 sections that one section came off from the other. He is coming back to remove that one section and put in a pipe at the top and put a cap on it and mortar it he said my Stainless steel liner looks good. He is going to do the pointing where my mortar is missing he said over all my chimney is in excellent shape. He is also going to strap the pipe in the fire place to take the weight off the liner that will remain. It is up far enough to get a good draft. He said he will be back on Saturday to do this but in the mean time I can use my stove the way it is, nothing is blocked. God only knows how long that the liner has been sitting there apart. Funny them chimney sweeps that came before never mentioned that my liner was in 2 pieces unless it wasn't at that point. Maybe we did that when we put the new piping in.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 9:34 am

Glad to hear you made some headway, but this info would have been better placed in your previous thread. That way everyone can see the entire progression and outcome of the issue.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 9:47 am

I think a reputable chimney sweep would have noticed it if he did the required work. Too bad contractor number 2 wasn't number 1 he sounds honest. One reason some folks don't trust chimney sweeps. I'm glad the chimney is usable and safe, keep number 2's phone number and loose the sweep's. ;)

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 10:02 am

Sounds like good news.... BUT,i am totally lost,......like picking up a book to read & starting at the last chapter :confused: This is exactly why I kept my thread going during the whole process,from the beginning thru firing it & even beyond. B4 becoming a member I had read lots of threads that just stopped in the middle & left me :notsure: Congratulations on the

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Nice FS--keep us posted :)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Dec. 01, 2015 2:42 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:Sounds like good news.... BUT,i am totally lost,......like picking up a book to read & starting at the last chapter :confused: This is exactly why I kept my thread going during the whole process,from the beginning thru firing it & even beyond. B4 becoming a member I had read lots of threads that just stopped in the middle & left me :notsure: Congratulations on the
That's ok, Here's her original thread -

Chimney Liner

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Dec. 02, 2015 12:52 am

A flexible SS liner?

Freespirit

Post by Freespirit » Wed. Dec. 16, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi Guys ok the chimney cap is on which I will get pictures of later. The guy who did my chimney work took out the piece of liner that had come apart from the other section in my opinion this plain has rotted but I have enough still up the chimney for draft, good enough for this winter. Because my liner is no longer supported by anything in the chimney he put a piece of strapping around my pipe to take the weight off from it. I can not get my manometer any lower it is on 5 picture attached. The weight is all the way to the right on the barometric damper and cannot go any further. I am not giving this stove very much air but the stack is at 235 and the new stove thermometer says my stove is at 480 and if I had balls I would be sweating them off right now it is 85 in my dining room. I have attached a picture of my barometric damper. Do you think there may be an air leak or is she just running the way she is suppose to be running? Also Lightening I did as you suggested I stuffed insulation in the gap that lets air come up and over the coal in the front of the stove.
Stove pipe with improvements 017.JPG

Manometer

.JPG | 73KB | Stove pipe with improvements 017.JPG
Stove pipe with improvements 018.JPG

Strapping

.JPG | 97.4KB | Stove pipe with improvements 018.JPG
Stove pipe with improvements 022.JPG

Barometric damper

.JPG | 109.3KB | Stove pipe with improvements 022.JPG
chment]

Attachments

Stove pipe with improvements 021.JPG

Draft

.JPG | 93.9KB | Stove pipe with improvements 021.JPG

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 16, 2015 1:17 pm

I'd say an air leak. Take a candle, incense stick--whatever & check around doors, glass, seams---see if anywhere is sucking in the flame/smoke. Nothin wrong w/ 5 on the mano--nothing wrong w/ 10

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Dec. 16, 2015 1:47 pm

I went back to your other thread & looked at the pic of your stove, it looks like a fairly new Alaska Kodiak which is designed to burn coal,pea or nut. WHY would you attempt to modify a stove that is designed to burn coal & the new Kodiak is right up there with the Hitzer & DS. There are many happy users of the Kodiak. Lightning needed to modify his multipurpose wood/coal furnace that actually was designed more for burning wood than coal. The Kodiak was designed properly from the factory to burn coal efficiently...... without amateur modifications to it.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 16, 2015 2:03 pm

Freespirit wrote:Also Lightening I did as you suggested I stuffed insulation in the gap that lets air come up and over the coal in the front of the stove.
Great. Is it providing more heat this way with less heat up the pipe? Then I'd say its a step in the right direction. I agree with Fred, it must be leaking primary air in somewhere if you can't tame the burn...

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Dec. 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Are the door gaskets creating a nice tight fit? The slider that controls the draft, does it fit snug or is there a lot of 'play' in it?

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Dec. 16, 2015 2:20 pm

I'm happy for you and the chimney, now close the air vents on the ash door. My box stove doesn't need the air vents open at all in this warm weather.

Dave has a point about modifying a new stove made specifically for coal unless all else fails. It also sounds like it's a little warm in the house so let a little heat pass through. If I recall there is a thread dedicated to secondary air being needed in the warm weather to keep draft and also keeping ones rocks from sweating. :whistle:

Freespirit

Post by Freespirit » Wed. Dec. 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Chimney cap 004.JPG
.JPG | 61.2KB | Chimney cap 004.JPG
Chimney cap 003.JPG
.JPG | 61.2KB | Chimney cap 003.JPG
Chimney cap 002.JPG
.JPG | 111.6KB | Chimney cap 002.JPG
Chimney cap 001.JPG
.JPG | 36.6KB | Chimney cap 001.JPG
I did not find any leaks that I can see. Lightening had said air flow for coal should come from the bottom and not up around the top of the coal. He had posted pictures or someone else did showing the insulation being used to stop the air from coming up and over the fire. The draft control on this stove is a little strange in one way but a good idea in another. In order to move the draft the round knob that controls it has to be unscrewed. Then it will slide once you have it in the position you want it, then you tighten it back up so it cannot move. Which is a good safety feature so that if it gets bumped them it will not close or open from where you have it adjusted. I did not know that you can totally shut off the air flow to the stove. The guy at the Alaska stove company said you never shut the air off totally from the stove. Here is some pictures of my new chimney cap and it is attached to a a piece of pipe and the guy who fixed my chimney said it is mortared around the hole.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 16, 2015 4:46 pm

I'm not following that -- insulation to stop over-fire air???????????????????? Could ya do a couple more pix of that. Do you mean in the fireplace at the smoke shelf???

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”