Puff Backs HELP!

Freespirit
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Pea or Nut

Post by Freespirit » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Lightning Thank you for the advise I was busy this evening when I went to shake down the stove and refill it. After I shook it the coal was below the hopper I said oh great I let the gases burn off from the coal that had just dropped and after I put a bucket of coal in it instead of leaving the door open Alaska has an opening to stick your shaker handle through so I left that about 1/2 open till I felt the gases would not be so volatile. Then I closed it and guess what? No puff backs yippee! The stove got cooking earlier though it was at about 550 house is 77 degrees in the nicely heated rooms kitchen is at about 64 I hate tall ceilings the kitchen has a dropped ceiling makes it hard to heat this house. Does anyone know what temp is the highest you should go with an Alaska Kodiak? I do not want to cook her too much. One other thing I noticed is after I put the fresh coal in the plate in front of the door glowed red for a bit turned down the air to cool her down a bit then when it is stabilized I will give it more air. Thank you so much for the advise it worked great.
Sincerely,
Freespirit

Freespirit
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Pea or Nut

Post by Freespirit » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 1:33 pm

Lightning
Which one of these is better?
Thank you
Freespirit
Draft Regulator.jpg
.JPG | 12.7KB | Draft Regulator.jpg
RC Fields Barometric Damper.jpg
.JPG | 11.4KB | RC Fields Barometric Damper.jpg

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 1:59 pm

Many of us use the Field Controls RC model. You'll want to get a "T" to put it in, instead of using the collar that comes with it.

I think it's the best baro for the money, for our application. :)

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 2:28 pm

Lightning wrote:Many of us use the Field Controls RC model. You'll want to get a "T" to put it in, instead of using the collar that comes with it.

I think it's the best baro for the money, for our application. :)
The M is probably the best for coal as it swings both ways. This is important in the event of a puffback as it will vent the pressure instead of blowing your pipe apart. It is the one Field Controls recommends for coal fired appliances. The only trouble is it costs twice the money an R/C does. :) I just bought a new R/C 'cause I'm a cheap!

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Freespirit wrote:Lightning
Which one of these is better?
Thank you
Freespirit
Draft Regulator.jpg
RC Fields Barometric Damper.jpg
Hi Freespirit , I have the barometric damper in the lower picture. I bought it last year, only to play with. I'm done playing with it now. You're welcome to it.

Smitty275
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Currently a Warm Morning 414 A. Previously had a Hot Blast 1321
Coal Size/Type: To Be Determined
Other Heating: propane

Post by Smitty275 » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 9:45 am

I have the damper in the second picture. Works great. Made my furnace very easy to use. I got lucky and picked the right one the first time. And from what I've learned on this site more than anything else is that no two set-ups are the same. So what works with a given furnace in one basement may not work with the same furnace in another basement. Take it all with a grain of salt. If what works for one doesn't work for yours try the one they said wouldn't work. It just might for you.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”