Questions About a Coal Stove in My Wood Shop

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 10:04 am

I have a Keystoker 90 with direct vent that I was going to install in my shop, but have some concerns. I'm mainly worried about soot build up on the siding and damaging my steel fascia and possibly roofing, from the exhaust. We have the same stove in our house and have soot all over the cedar siding and rust on metal drip edge, from the exhaust. The spot that the stove would be placed in my shop, would mean that the prevailing wind would be blowing the exhaust back against my siding, as it does on my house. Could I use a stainless chimney with the direct vent, that would extend above my roof line, to avoid these issues? Any help would be appreciated.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 10:07 am

Heck yeah, go for it! :)
I trust you'll educate yourself to what the do's and don't's are. ;)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 10:16 am

So if you get the stainless chimney do you think you will still need the direct vent?

I have a stoker in my workshop connected to this SS insulated chimney, no direct vent.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 10:17 am

McGiever wrote:Heck yeah, go for it! :)
I trust you'll educate yourself to what the do's and don't's are. ;)
That's why I'm asking on here. I could be a costly education for me, if it didn't work.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 10:20 am

titleist1 wrote:So if you get the stainless chimney do you think you will still need the direct vent?

I have a stoker in my workshop connected to this SS insulated chimney, no direct vent.
I believe so, my vent is on the bottom, back of the stove. I think standard chimneys vent on the top of the stove.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 12:12 pm

My Keystoker is a direct vent from the bottom, and I have ran it both ways with and without a direct vent and a standard chimney.

My Leisure is line is a standard chimney connection from the bottom back of the stove. the bottom vents I think hold more heat in the stoves.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 2:43 pm

WNY wrote:My Keystoker is a direct vent from the bottom, and I have ran it both ways with and without a direct vent and a standard chimney.

My Leisure is line is a standard chimney connection from the bottom back of the stove. the bottom vents I think hold more heat in the stoves.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I guess the advantage to keeping the direct vent would be I would only need a 4" chimney. That would probably be much cheaper. Standard chimney pipe is 6", correct?

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”