Chimney Damper

Candyman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby stove

Post by Candyman » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 9:38 am

Hello, I am thinking of getting a chuuby rear vent stove and want to vent it through my fireplace. I do not want to grind my damper frame out to fit a six in stove pipe through so I was thinking of getting a Duravent oval to round 60 inch flue liner. I believe this would fit through my damper opening into my chimney far enough into the clay liner? Has onyone gone this route? This would be my first venture into coal burning and this forum as been so helpful. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum, Chubby's are popular stoves here. The only reason I ever remember seeing for taking one out is to put in a larger capacity stove.

I have not done this myself but I believe I remember reading about others doing this in past threads. I do remember reading that some squeeze their round pipes into an oval shape to fit through the opening, not sure how difficult it would be to do that or how well it fits in the opening.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 1:34 pm

I squished a 6" black pile to fit through the fireplace damper. Your success will depend on the size of the existing damper opening. I fit the 6" black pipe about 36" into the existing flue. The remaining void I packed with rockwool. I have not had any issues with mine. A word of caution though, make sure you monitor your draft carefully. Depending the size and material of the existing flue you should expect lower draft pressures when venting a 6" pipe into a larger clay flue.

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 12:08 am

The duravent oval to round in 60 inch is the way to go, exactly what I have, its stainless, and no fuss trying to get up thru the damper. I have mine 12 years now

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 5:06 am

Good morning, there are several postings in the archives on this subject, including mine. In fact, I just finished my stove install yesterday doing just what you propose. My Mark I sits partially in the fire box. I squished a 6 inch pipe through the damper and extended the black pipe up 28 ft beyond the chimney interior bricks.

This is my third year doing this and it's worked well. This year I"m using a 22 gauge welded pipe and found the smashing of the pipe easier. The heavier pipe made a better seal at the pipe joints. Regardless, I put screws in and taped each joint with metal vent tape as I fed them up the chimney. I also closed off the damper with concrete board expect for 1 foot for the actual passing of the black pipe. Instead of having a 3 foot hole to fill with Rockwool, I now have a couple of inches around the black pipe. This is good because the Rockwell was prone to falling out.

I couldn't figure out how to post a link but if you go to the search button in the upper right corner and put in "Coffee 9-26-15" there are pictures under my posting. My only disappointment is that due to the confined space I am not able to put either a manual or barometric damper on the stove. Once the stove is lit I can't get behind it to manipulate either one. Fortunately, I can dial the stove down so low that hasn't been an issue for me.

I also can't easily get to the black pipes to vacuum them out mid season. For this reason, this year I went with a 90* angle pipe instead of a T joint. It cost less and I have to let the fire go out if I need to work behind the stove anyway.

As I said, it works well. Lisa

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 6:08 am

Candyman

HI! If there is anything Larry or I can help you with please fee free to contact us. Happy to help any way we can.

Larry's number is 781-293-7990

CoalCaptain
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Sr. & Chubby Jr.
Baseburners & Antiques: Century Andes # 26
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Nut & Stove
Other Heating: FHA Oil

Post by CoalCaptain » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 9:21 am

Candyman wrote:Hello, I am thinking of getting a chuuby rear vent stove and want to vent it through my fireplace. I do not want to grind my damper frame out to fit a six in stove pipe through so I was thinking of getting a Duravent oval to round 60 inch flue liner. I believe this would fit through my damper opening into my chimney far enough into the clay liner? Has onyone gone this route? This would be my first venture into coal burning and this forum as been so helpful. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
CandyMan,

Welcome to the forum.

I just completed the exact same install with a 5' oval to round SS Z-Flex Liner.
I took out my damper long ago and had a plate made with an oval hole due to size restriction of chimney.
This makes for a very tight and solid barrier from the elements.
Best thing I've done to improve draft leading to improved Chubby performance!

CC

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”