Chimney Liner

Freespirit
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Pea or Nut

Post by Freespirit » Mon. Nov. 16, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi Guys
I still do not have my dwyer draft gauge set up yet. The chimney sweeps came today and told me they would not put a brush down my liner that it need to be replaced they said that it was all right for now but they would write up a quote for me only 2 to $3000.00 dollars well I must be getting a bargain right. I can't win for loosing. I started checking on line I found a Rockford Chimney liner kit that comes with everything including the insulation for $523.99 with free shipping. Now I just go to figure out how it is going to make it from the ground into my chimney. Maybe if I tell it to assemble itself and crawl up and into the chimney it will, ha ha. But I know I had had enough of listening to the oil guzzler in the basement. I have had 6 small fires in the coal stove and Alaska calls for 4 to season the grates so I hope they are seasoned because I got her going. How wonderfully warm it is in here and even better the furnace is not running. So now I just have to figure out how to get the chimney fixed.

Attachments

Alaska Kodiak first real burn 001.JPG

Alaska Kodiak first real burn

.JPG | 78.9KB | Alaska Kodiak first real burn 001.JPG

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Nov. 16, 2015 11:21 pm

Can you lower a camera down the chimney to see what it actually looks like? Have you been using this chimney for venting any fuel burning unit ? Is the chimney clay lined ? Don't be too hasty to take the advice from those trying to sell you on spending $$$$$$$

Freespirit

Post by Freespirit » Mon. Nov. 16, 2015 11:45 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:Can you lower a camera down the chimney to see what it actually looks like? Have you been using this chimney for venting any fuel burning unit ? Is the chimney clay lined ? Don't be too hasty to take the advice from those trying to sell you on spending $$$$$$$
Yes they brought me down a piece of it and they took pictures. Unfortunately the butt head who owned this house before never put a top plate on the chimney only a rain cap attached to the liner which even had rotted off. So I know I have to replace it but they did say that it had to be insulated which I am not sure if that is true or not but this kit does have insulation to be put on it. I just can't afford big bucks after replacing the roof and still have to deal with the walls from the leak. I am a single mom and today I feel beat up and spit out by the world. Yes my coal stove is hooked up to this chimney and no it is not clay lined just the brick and liner.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 6:10 am

I wonder what the original brick chimney looks like?

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 6:34 am

I suggest you get a second and third opinions.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 7:06 am

Is the chimney itself outside or does it go up through your house? Is the brick and mortar broken up with a lot of cracks and holes?

Can you post a pic of it?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 7:11 am

Many OLD houses have brick chimneys ( outside of house) w/ no clay or stainless liners and use them as is safely & efficiently.

Freespirit

Post by Freespirit » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 8:12 am

titleist1 wrote:Is the chimney itself outside or does it go up through your house? Is the brick and mortar broken up with a lot of cracks and holes?

No he took pictures while they were up there with his phone Chimney runs up the middle of the house and is missing some mortar up near the roof but does not go all the way through to the inside of the chimney. That will have to be dealt with. The problem is there is what I thought to be a stainless steel liner in this chimney that has rotted because there was never a top plate put on this chimney. The previous owner thought he would save money and attached the rain cap directly to the steel liner itself. Which rotted off due to the rain going in around it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 8:15 am

FS, can the damaged portion be reached & skimmed w/ mortar??

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 9:14 am

That rain cap likely rotted from fly ash which is corrosive, this is also why most stainless steel liners don't hold up. Especially if it's a low grade stainless steel.

Many people get scammed into installing a liner that don't really need one. I can't say for sure if this is the case for you. It certainly would help if you could get some pictures on here.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 9:20 am

Get the metal liner pulled out & fire up the coal stove,unless the brick & mortar is falling apart,the chimney should be safe to use. If you were to burn wood there would be more concern of the bricks getting creosote buildup,burning coal there is no issue with that.

Freespirit

Post by Freespirit » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 10:22 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:Get the metal liner pulled out & fire up the coal stove,unless the brick & mortar is falling apart,the chimney should be safe to use. If you were to burn wood there would be more concern of the bricks getting creosote buildup,burning coal there is no issue with that.
They left the liner in and said it would be fine for now and I use wood to get my coal started.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 11:17 am

F S old mason here .Please do this have 2 or 3 masons look at the chimney an give there opinion .Im doing this 40 years an if you have a clay flue pipe in the chimney it will last a long time .I have no cap on my chimney an noticed a small chip of clay flue pipe broke off .This happened due to ice freezing on the clay pipe .This will not affect my chimney .Lining chimneys is a Real Scam perpertrated by chimney sweeps .Stop by a brick supply house an ask for a referral of an older bricklayer .Go slow an P M me if I can help .Im doing brick 4oPlus .jack years .

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 11:22 am

Free had to say this too .A woman is easy prey for these liner guys just like car repairs .Go slow .Another comment if t you do not see cracks in the chimney while looking at it from oi out in your yard how would the inside of the flue pipe go bad .jack

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Nov. 17, 2015 4:47 pm

Freespirit wrote:
titleist1 wrote:Is the chimney itself outside or does it go up through your house? Is the brick and mortar broken up with a lot of cracks and holes?

No he took pictures while they were up there with his phone Chimney runs up the middle of the house and is missing some mortar up near the roof but does not go all the way through to the inside of the chimney. That will have to be dealt with. The problem is there is what I thought to be a stainless steel liner in this chimney that has rotted because there was never a top plate put on this chimney. The previous owner thought he would save money and attached the rain cap directly to the steel liner itself. Which rotted off due to the rain going in around it.
There is a misunderstanding here,the top part did not rot because of no top plate,it rotted because it is near the top,period. Rain caps for steel liners do attach to the steel pipe.The reason I mentioned pulling the liner is this ..... IF that liner is rusting & crumbling as the chimney sweep claims, you should pull it all out so that a piece of it doesn't fall & block the stack from venting the fumes/CO, which would then likely vent into your house. I have no top plate on my chimney either,it is a masonry block chimney with clay liner.Post pics of your chimney so we can all give our 2 cents worth .You state that the chimney goes up the middle of the house,no need to insulate .

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”