Using Pex Radiant Manifold for Cast Iron Baseboard Worth It?

This forum is for common products and questions such as chimney installations, CO detectors, coal bin designs and a variety of other general topics that do not fit into the other forums.
DCCoalBurner
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Backup Oil Burner

Post Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 10:49 am

I'm in the process of redoing the heating system in my house 2 stories with unfinished basement. It use to have case iron standing radiators. I took them out and I'm installing 9" Cast Iron Baseboard. Before everything was on one loop and one zone. I'm splitting it into 2 zones for each floor and I am using 3/4 pex to make the connections. Now this is what I'm planning. I am going to have 2 loops on each zone. Meaning two Manifolds, one for each zone. http://www.pexuniverse.com/ssm102-steel-radiant-h ... t-manifold. Now the Pex Radiant Manifolds have a max flow rate of around 1.6 gpm per loop. Is that going to hinder my BTU output for the cast iron baseboard? Is it worth using this manifolds or am I better off making my own using 3/4 tees and ball valves for each loop? I know that the manifolds have flow gauges. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 3:37 pm

A home run system with manifolds will work fine, I did just that in my own home for one zone. You don't need the radiant manifolds to make it work (although they are very nice), a simple pex manifold will work also.

What is the maximum length of baseboard you plan to put on one loop?

waldo lemieux
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

Post Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 3:48 pm

I wouldnt use one with flowmeters those radiators work best with full flow . If you have stuff to make headers there don't make a special trip to the parts store you wont see any better performance and if you use those flowmeters you may not get enough flow.
When faced with a seemingly impossible task, my grandfather always said "can't never can, untill try comes along"

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”