Using Pex Radiant Manifold for Cast Iron Baseboard Worth It?

Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Backup Oil Burner

Post By: DCCoalBurner » Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 10:49 am

I'm in the process of redoing the heating system in my house 2 stories with unfinished basement. It use to have case iron standing radiators. I took them out and I'm installing 9" Cast Iron Baseboard. Before everything was on one loop and one zone. I'm splitting it into 2 zones for each floor and I am using 3/4 pex to make the connections. Now this is what I'm planning. I am going to have 2 loops on each zone. Meaning two Manifolds, one for each zone. ... t-manifold. Now the Pex Radiant Manifolds have a max flow rate of around 1.6 gpm per loop. Is that going to hinder my BTU output for the cast iron baseboard? Is it worth using this manifolds or am I better off making my own using 3/4 tees and ball valves for each loop? I know that the manifolds have flow gauges. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post By: Rob R. » Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 3:37 pm

A home run system with manifolds will work fine, I did just that in my own home for one zone. You don't need the radiant manifolds to make it work (although they are very nice), a simple pex manifold will work also.

What is the maximum length of baseboard you plan to put on one loop?

waldo lemieux
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

Post By: waldo lemieux » Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 3:48 pm

I wouldnt use one with flowmeters those radiators work best with full flow . If you have stuff to make headers there don't make a special trip to the parts store you wont see any better performance and if you use those flowmeters you may not get enough flow.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”