Help With Harmam SF 260 Controls

This forum is for common products and questions such as chimney installations, CO detectors, coal bin designs and a variety of other general topics that do not fit into the other forums.
coalrunner
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 260

Post Sat. Oct. 24, 2015 10:06 pm

After almost buying a ds 3200 boiler,which was a nice unit that definitely would have done the job(just too tall) I settled on a Harman sf260. It's in great condition,grates work properly,and the guy have written guarantee the boiler would pass a pressure test. However,it has the old white Rogers controls. They show their age,and even though they may work,I'd like to put new controls on the boiler. I know I could go with the newer Johnson controls,but not sure if they are my best bet. I just need something to control the draft control,and the dump zone circulator. I'm not broke but don't want to spend a ton,I just need it to work correctly. Anyone have ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated

waldo lemieux
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

Post Sat. Oct. 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Samson control for draft. What is controling the other zones? you merely need a single poke ,single throw aquastat that makes on temp rise and use it just like the rest of your tstats on whichever zone you choose for a dump.

https://store.alternateheatingsystems.com/index.p ... ucts_id=97
When faced with a seemingly impossible task, my grandfather always said "can't never can, untill try comes along"

coalrunner
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 260

Post Sat. Oct. 24, 2015 11:41 pm

I should've explained more. Right now,I have a gas boiler vented to my chimney which has a single zone to the whole house. There's a lot of baseboard,and it gives a good,even heat throughout. I was going to install a larger boiler,as I'll be burning bit coal which requires a voluminous fire box to get a long burn,but because of hight restrictions, my selection was limited( coal boiler was going to be the soul source of heat). However,I ran across this Harman in good shape for a nice price. It has the motor on the bottom door that the original aquastat opens,which appears to work fine. I'm familiar with that system,and it works great. Now,because I got a deal on the Harman ,I can afford to put a power vent gas boiler beside it for backup. That's the plan anyways. I'm not a genius with these things honestly,and most of the stuff I know I learned here. I'd like the gas boiler to fire when the Harman dies down,and for the warmer months. I'm assuming I can use the gas boiler controls to run my main line. Fur the Harman I'm just looking for the control for the dump and draft door. I did see the Sampson control you mentioned and it's actually a great control in my opinion,just haven't seen anyone use it on a Harman

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 / "Kelly"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Buck

Post Sun. Oct. 25, 2015 9:06 am

I have the Johnson 350 series controls on my 2008 SF260 and they work great. I have it plumbed in parallel with the oil boiler but do not use the oil boilers 8124 aquastat to control the pumps. The oil and coal operate independently. I have added another main zone circulator in series With the oil boilers and have separate thermostat/controls for the sf260. I have one zone and use a taco zvc403 to control the coal side using the end switch to run both coal circulators (main zone and loop circulators) with inputs from the Johnson control for dump zone and thermostat for heat calls. I added a manual dump control on the third zvc403 thermostat input to run it manually...

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”