How Clean Is Clean

This forum is for common products and questions such as chimney installations, CO detectors, coal bin designs and a variety of other general topics that do not fit into the other forums.
Djcoak6071
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon - Husky
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite
Other Heating: Oil/Wood

Post Tue. Oct. 20, 2015 8:16 pm

Cleaned my 6" ss chimney today for the first time. How clean is clean with these? It has been used for wood keep in mind and was pretty dirty.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Frankenstove
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite
Other Heating: wood and a little LP

Post Tue. Oct. 20, 2015 8:33 pm

leave a little bit of creosote in it as it will help protect you chimney from the coal gasses. You don't need to get too carried away, just remove most of the creosote. Coal doesnt leave creosote, just a little ash, but it can still ignite creosote left from wood burning.
I'm just an old chunk of coal now Lord but I'm gonna be a diamond some day - Billy Joe Shaver

Uglysquirrel
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono

Post Tue. Oct. 20, 2015 8:35 pm

Depends on your draft, if its on the lower side (barometer discussion) the flow would be reduced suggesting more particles would not go up, in my uneducated opinion the area of concern would likely be where the flow changes direction, this area is usually found in the pipe with more ash suggesting more blockage potential thought just understand I (still) live in Connecticut which again suggests I may be uneducated or at the very least, stupid. Sorry, off topic.... :D

Djcoak6071
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon - Husky
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite
Other Heating: Oil/Wood

Post Tue. Oct. 20, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks guys.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”