LL Powervent Hookup

tfrost77

Post by tfrost77 » Fri. Mar. 14, 2008 8:29 am

Hi new to the forum. I have a LL Hearth that I am trying to hook up in my new home. I previously had it installed in my old fireplace using the existing chimney, and it worked great. since I do not currently have access to a chimney I decided to give the powervent a whirl. So I have the PV, I have the Baro, I have the WMO-1 safety switch, and I have the stove. Should be easy.....well I do have some confusion, that is not easily answered from the instruction manual, or purusing the forums:

1. The PV is a 6" with a 4" inner, do I need to reduce from the 6" stovepipe to the 4" at the PV inlet (End cap) or just butt the 6" to the end cap. It would seem to me a reducer would be necessary or flue gases would escape. Just looking to verify, and any good methods as I cannot seem to find a stovepipe 6-4 reducer readily available
2. It seems that no body is using a control kit, as the PV would need to run constantly with the stove, I plan on gettting a rheostat (recomendations anyone?) to control the PV, does the pressure tube come into play here? do I just remove it? if so do I need to close the entry hole on the outside jacket?
3. The WMO-1 safety switch, I have this set up as basically a "GFI" to the stove power supply so if the PV goes down the safety switch will trip out the stove, is this correct?

Sorry for the lengthy post, the chimney method seemed so much easier "Plug and Play" type install.
Any help is appreciated
Tim

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Mar. 14, 2008 10:04 am

Should come with instructions, if it's a Field Controls mounted outside on the house? If so, you can also put a baro damper on the stove to help regulate it more.

the 6" is to keep a 1" air gap around the pipe for combustables and for some uses (Pellet and others) it brings outside air in to the stove.

http://www.fieldcontrols.com/venting.php

Look on their site for information. I think the pipe needs to be the inner size 4" and you would need to reduce it down off the stove.

Also, check with JERRY @ Leisure Line on here, he can probably help you out too!

Do a serch on here for Power Vent Reohstat or varible speed control. Do not use a standard light DIMMER swich.

tfrost77

Post by tfrost77 » Fri. Mar. 14, 2008 11:17 am

Yes it's a fields controls SWG on the outside the house, I think I actually figured it out just by checking out some of the installation pics on the site, I'll take it 6" and reduce it at the powervent. The rheostat, I can find something, just hoping someone had one that they used and it worked well for them. The only question that I can't figure is the pressure tube. I don't think that I need it, but do I just remove it and leave the hole that it was run in open, It will end up in the wall cavity which concerns me, Field controls has a little blurb about it that states "if used" so I get the feeling that it is for the control unit.

WNY

Post by WNY » Fri. Mar. 14, 2008 11:25 am

Might be for a pressure sensor for the fan, an additional control unit.
Maybe for some stoves (not coal), there is a control pressure circuit for differential pressure or blockage or something or to sense draft??
Not sure, but probably not needed in your instance, or it's for a Menometer (Draft) gauge hook up?

Do you have a baro damper installed also.? that can be adjusted to control draft out of the stove instead of changing the speed of the Power vent.

tfrost77

Post by tfrost77 » Fri. Mar. 14, 2008 11:47 am

WNY
I do (will)have the baro damper installed, I just read that the PV makes some noise when its going full boar and if it is slowed down it quiets down, so hence the rheostat.

BTW you can see the pressure tube that I'm talking about on the link that you posted it right next to the power cable, there just wasn't any clear cut indication of what it is specifically for / meant to be connected to. I have plenty of literature that I got from Field Controls, still couldn't find it, figured someone had to have run into the situation before.

Thanks for you responses, I appreciate the help

WNY

Post by WNY » Fri. Mar. 14, 2008 12:59 pm

I think the pressure tube if for hot water tank Power venters. When the tank needs heating, it turns on the power vent and verifies pressure via a pressure switch (separate control circuit) and then it tells the tank it's okay to start the flames....safety interlock system.

tfrost77

Post by tfrost77 » Fri. Mar. 14, 2008 1:18 pm

That's what I thought (safety interlock) it's just reassuring to here someone confirm that

WNY

Post by WNY » Fri. Mar. 14, 2008 1:24 pm

I looked in one of the online manuals for the SWG Powervent, I think on pg. 16 or something, it states how to hook up the tube.....

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”