Need a Coal Chute Door

carmangeea
Other Heating: Propane

Post by carmangeea » Sun. Jun. 21, 2015 2:31 pm

We are moving the coal inside this year. Getting too old to keep hauling it in not to mention keeping it dry. We built a coal bin in the back of the garage. We were going to put a window in the block wall but then I started seeing the coal chute doors. Called Dad but he and everyone else just used the windows in the basement, no old doors hanging around. I would prefer a door but don't know where to look. I would prefer to buy used also. Was that something that was used more in the mid west or western pa or what? What about the opening inside the garage where we will shovel the coal from? I asked Dad again and what he remembers doing is putting boards across the opening and removing one about 2 feet off the bottom (dirt floor) and it would stop flowing as it jammed up. I don't want it to all come out all over the garage floor.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sun. Jun. 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Car look on Google seems up near Scranton someone was making nice steel 24 times 24 inch doors .jack

Starting Out
Other Heating: Burnham Oil Boiler with Beckett Gun

Post by Starting Out » Sun. Jun. 21, 2015 8:13 pm

You can call Mark's Supply in Shenandoah, Pa. They sell anything and everything coal related. Ask for Joe or John. The number is 570-462-0748. I'm sure they would have them, if not they will know who does.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jun. 21, 2015 10:41 pm

I can't seem to pull my pics from the file on this computer & I don't know how to link to a pic in a different thread. If you look at my thread "From OWB to EFM520 installed in truck box ",page 6 ,scroll down to pic of light coming thru what I call "corn crib slats",with this system , the bottom board or bottom 2 boards can be pulled which only allows a little bit of coal to flow out at any time,allows you to shovel coal & still have more coal there for the next shovel full without the overflow mess.

Cuzz01
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker 160
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice
Other Heating: Ele. HVAC

Post by Cuzz01 » Wed. Jun. 24, 2015 6:08 am

This is my 2 1/2 - 3 ton rice coal bin. During construction I added the chutes, I attached 3/4" over the molding strips giving me a bit over 1/4" play. I had several old street signs built sturdy handles to pull up slowly. After I got my first load I tested and worked nicely.

Otherwise, I have seen doors several places on the internet for sale, don't forget that once you open a clean out door type, you open the flood gate. :D

Attachments

13Bin Build.jpg

My chute doors

.JPG | 155.1KB | 13Bin Build.jpg

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jun. 24, 2015 7:11 am

carmangeea wrote:We are moving the coal inside this year. Getting too old to keep hauling it in not to mention keeping it dry. We built a coal bin in the back of the garage. We were going to put a window in the block wall but then I started seeing the coal chute doors. Called Dad but he and everyone else just used the windows in the basement, no old doors hanging around. I would prefer a door but don't know where to look. I would prefer to buy used also. Was that something that was used more in the mid west or western pa or what? What about the opening inside the garage where we will shovel the coal from? I asked Dad again and what he remembers doing is putting boards across the opening and removing one about 2 feet off the bottom (dirt floor) and it would stop flowing as it jammed up. I don't want it to all come out all over the garage floor.
Are you wanting a hinged metal door type for loading into the bin from the outside?

carmangeea
Other Heating: Propane

Post by carmangeea » Sat. Jun. 27, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have not been able to be on the internet because of several days of power outage due to the recent storms. I am looking for the door from the outside to load the coal into the garage.

Cuzz01

Post by Cuzz01 » Sun. Jun. 28, 2015 3:33 am

Perhaps a chimney clean out door?

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Jun. 28, 2015 4:42 am

Try PMing Berlin..,....

Coal Chute Door

Cuzz01

Post by Cuzz01 » Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 4:20 am

Being owner of the photo in the post I can tell you that I was very hesitant in opening the "flood gates" the first time! It was very UN-nerving pulling up the door.

Being so close to the ground I had placed a cement mixing tray under a door with buckets at the ready.

The door slid up easy enough 1 1/2 -- 2" (don't go crazy!), allowing the coal to spill out, judging the amount for filling a 5 gal. bucket I pushed back down. It Worked!

Enough of the dramatics. Although the design is simple it comes with a slight flaw, you cannot push the door all the way back down to the "floor" as small pieces fill the track bottom. But the way gravity and back pressure work, the "flood" stops on the chute ramp.

I believe that no matter which door you choose if it is at the bottom of the bin you will have the same issue. Unless you build with take out boards, doing so you could get above the coal and shovel coal out. Let gravity do the work!

Filling buckets today, will post photos.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 9:07 am

Or do it this way,take out 1 or 2 of the bottom boards,never lose the whole bin full,only flows as coal is taken away.

Attachments

487.JPG

pull 1 or 2 slats from the bottom,flow is controlled by removal of coal

.JPG | 75.3KB | 487.JPG

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 9:21 am

All good ways for getting the coal "OUT" of the bin...
The OP was looking for a Door at the other end...loading the coal "INTO" the bin. :)

Cuzz01

Post by Cuzz01 » Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 9:55 am

In it is, my door!

Attachments

Coal delivery.jpg
.JPG | 184.8KB | Coal delivery.jpg

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 10:12 am

Oops, should of said he wants door to a bin that is under the house, inside through a exterior wall. :)

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Sun. Jul. 31, 2016 7:16 am

How big of a door are you looking for?
Would a cast iron chimney cleanout door be big enough?

If you're looking for something larger, how about a cast iron door that's made for a barrel stove kit? You might be able to find a used barrel stove cheap & just take the cast iron door off it. Or, you could get a whole barrel stove kit new at Tractor Supply for just over $50.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”