Roof Brace Instructions Supervent Bracket

skobydog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Post by skobydog » Wed. Apr. 29, 2015 11:36 pm

Hey guys,

I'm trying to plan out my install for a Class A triple wall chimney using Selkirk Supervent. I'm coming out the basement wall and up along the gable side of the house. The roof is a 12/12 pitch so from what I gather my chimney will need to be 12 feet high.

My question is the Selkirk instructions.

"Over 10' use one RBK 4' from the roof and one RBK every 5' thereafter". So, I would need 2 brackets, correct? One bracket 4' high up on the chimney and another at 9'.

The instructions online were a little confusing at first but I think I'm understanding it correctly now. Or am I?

Attachments

pic.jpg
.JPG | 63.6KB | pic.jpg
Last edited by skobydog on Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 7:44 am

Looks right to me.

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 8:01 am

coaledsweat wrote:Looks right to me.
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I was reading this right before ordering. I'll call the company to verify. Thanks again
Last edited by skobydog on Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 8:11 am

SD

If you have an attic space you might consider 45 then another 45 moving the exit point closer to your peak and then just getting it above the peak 2' and if you can get it close enough you wont need any braces. And Im not sure the have any offsets for that chimney, some do some dont. The chimney might very well draft better and the closer to your peak you make a hole the less water flows past that hole. And you don't have 4 more holes for braces. I obviously cant see your attic situation but if its like mine it would be worth doing if your not too far off to one side coming up from the stove.

Waldo

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 8:24 am

waldo lemieux wrote:SD

If you have an attic space you might consider 45 then another 45 moving the exit point closer to your peak and then just getting it above the peak 2' and if you can get it close enough you wont need any braces. And Im not sure the have any offsets for that chimney, some do some dont. The chimney might very well draft better and the closer to your peak you make a hole the less water flows past that hole. And you don't have 4 more holes for braces. I obviously cant see your attic situation but if its like mine it would be worth doing if your not too far off to one side coming up from the stove.

Waldo
This is a basement install. As you can see from this pic I believe I only have this one option. Plus, the basement is limited to where I can install the stove. :)

Attachments

IMG_20130903_130020.jpg
.JPG | 200.8KB | IMG_20130903_130020.jpg

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 1:33 pm

Boy SD , I don't know about that situation . It seems to me that with that long slope there that even getting it up twelve feet might pose a reverse(high) pressure condition . Hopefully someone with more experience will be by to put a stamp of approval on it, but I'm apprehensive. Absolutely no way to move it over to the propane tank region and go up the outside in the middle?

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 2:43 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:Boy SD , I don't know about that situation . It seems to me that with that long slope there that even getting it up twelve feet might pose a reverse(high) pressure condition . Hopefully someone with more experience will be by to put a stamp of approval on it, but I'm apprehensive. Absolutely no way to move it over to the propane tank region and go up the outside in the middle?
Thanks waldo, great info, It's something I didn't think about.

After looking around I found you can buy (or even make) a rotating chimney cap. Basically a chimney cap/weather vane combination to prevent downdrafts. There are a few companies out there and people also have made them. Not sure how well they work, I'll have to research that.

Here's a homemade one

Attachments

31o1tScB8xL._SY450_.jpg
.JPG | 10.7KB | 31o1tScB8xL._SY450_.jpg

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 5:22 pm

If you put the chimney where you have it drawn, its kind of hard to guess how it will actually be height wise when installed. I'd want it closer to the peak of the house, if thats possible. If its not possible, go ahead and try it, but be prepared to add another 3 feet if your draft is bad. 45's to get it closer to the peak, as mentioned, would be another good option. Its just always hard to guess at these things.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 6:15 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:SD

Waldo
I think to do that would actually require more stovepipe. Also, more bracing, possibly at every joint and or a structural component to keep it aligned.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 7:14 pm

coaledsweat wrote:I think to do that would actually require more stovepipe. Also, more bracing, possibly at every joint and or a structural component to keep it aligned.
Not positive about triple wall but metalbestos (packed) pipe would'nt require any more structual supports and the intermediary braces are cheap .

SD, Im not as concerened about a downdraft as you can abate that condition as youve mentioned. The ridge creating a high pressure(bad) on one side and a low pressure (preferred) on the other is more of a concern to me.

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 8:25 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:
coaledsweat wrote:I think to do that would actually require more stovepipe. Also, more bracing, possibly at every joint and or a structural component to keep it aligned.
Not positive about triple wall but metalbestos (packed) pipe would'nt require any more structual supports and the intermediary braces are cheap .

SD, Im not as concerened about a downdraft as you can abate that condition as youve mentioned. The ridge creating a high pressure(bad) on one side and a low pressure (preferred) on the other is more of a concern to me.
Anyway to test rather than making a large purchase only to find out it doesn't perform well?

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Not that I can think of :gee: one of these guys on here should be able to give you a more definite answer.
But everybody is outside enjoying the weather. I know there are a couple of masons onboard....

skobydog

Post by skobydog » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 9:13 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:Not that I can think of :gee: one of these guys on here should be able to give you a more definite answer.
But everybody is outside enjoying the weather. I know there are a couple of masons onboard....
Hey Waldo, Well I see what you're saying. The placement I chose is the worst.

I actually tried for a better scale with this picture. From the wall to the roof is 8 feet. Add another 12 feet and it's pretty high. Going up the side of the house isn't as bad as I had thought. I would have to add more pipe but would save a few bucks on the roof brackets.

Would the bend at the bottom be acceptable for building code?

Attachments

2221.jpg
.JPG | 204.5KB | 2221.jpg

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Thu. Apr. 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Sd

Can you eliminate those offsets? It seems that if you move the thimble /base support over a few more inches you could go right up along the balcony and that clerestory window. Too, If you went with packed chimney it will probably be smaller in diameter. And putting the chimney on the ridge like that will guaranty success. I think the packed chimney is cheaper also.

waldo

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. May. 01, 2015 7:17 am

waldo lemieux wrote:Sd

Can you eliminate those offsets? It seems that if you move the thimble /base support over a few more inches you could go right up along the balcony and that clerestory window. Too, If you went with packed chimney it will probably be smaller in diameter. And putting the chimney on the ridge like that will guaranty success. I think the packed chimney is cheaper also.

waldo
Go with the 90° coming out of the thimble rotated at 45° and you eliminate one of them.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”