Indirect HW Heater

mcguirehg
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by mcguirehg » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 7:22 am

Amitrol hw indirect wh-41z is throwing cold water into my system. When we shut down the heating zones for the season our showers get cold. It appears the hot water supply from the top of the indirect gets dumped into the same pipe of my efm525 coil before going to the mixing valve. However, the cold water from the indirect makes the pipe cold. When I shut off the valve of the indirect hot water supply our showers go hot...thoughts?....am I not understanding the system or is it not functioning correctly? Dan

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 92.2KB | image.jpg

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 9:30 am

Lets make sure we understand what your saying?

The hot out of the indirect goes to the inlet of the coil inside the EFM and then out to the faucets? Is that what your saying?

You should be able to have the outlet from the indirect go to your faucets not the inlet to the coil in the boiler. OR shut off the indirect and have the outlet from the coil go directly to your faucets.

Or did I completely blow it in my understanding of your system?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 4:15 pm

For us to help, could you draw up a simple diagram of how the DHW is plumbed from where water enters the house to thru the boiler and indirect tank and finally to the faucet? Then just snap a picture of it and post it.. :)

mcguirehg

Post by mcguirehg » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 7:29 pm

Pics

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 149KB | image.jpg

mcguirehg

Post by mcguirehg » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 7:36 pm

If you look at the piping you will see the pipe labeled domestic out hot, this goes into the pipe coming out from my EFM Coil hot, thIs pipe feeds into the hot side of the mixing valve. The domestic hot coming out of my amitrol indirect, the pipe labeled hot is feeding cold water out of the indirect into the hot side of my mixing valve. When I shut off the valve of this pipe I get hot showers, others they are cold...does this mean my indirect isn't working properly?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 7:52 pm

When we shut down the heating zones for the season our showers get cold.
Sounds like you shut off the zone to the indirect as well.

You mention the coil and the indirect...which one are you trying to use?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 7:53 pm

mcguirehg wrote:If you look at the piping you will see the pipe labeled domestic out hot, this goes into the pipe coming out from my EFM Coil hot, thIs pipe feeds into the hot side of the mixing valve. The domestic hot coming out of my amitrol indirect, the pipe labeled hot is feeding cold water out of the indirect into the hot side of my mixing valve. When I shut off the valve of this pipe I get hot showers, others they are cold...does this mean my indirect isn't working properly?
Are you saying that you have hot water entering the "hot" side of the mixing valve (from the boiler), as well as hot water entering the "cold" side of the mixing valve (from the indirect tank)? The cold side should be receiving cold feed from your city water or well water line. The hot side should be receiving its feed from the indirect tank. And the indirect tank should be heated via a zone loop coming off of the boiler and going through the indirects internal coil.

mcguirehg

Post by mcguirehg » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 8:12 pm

If you look directly above the water auto fill valve that is the pipe coming from the top of the indirect, domestic hot water, that pipe feeds into the pipe above it ( EFM hot coil pipe) and this hot water feeds into the hot side of the mixing valve. The problem being the domestic hot water coming from the indirect isn't hot, but rather cold. I believe it should be hot, but isn't. As a result, I shut the pipe down with the ball valve and my hot water returns and showers are hot again. I'm beginning to think there is a problem with the indirect and not my settings resulting in the cold showers.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 8:17 pm

If the indirect is not maintaining temperature, either the control is not set properly, not functioning properly, or for some reason the boiler water can't circulate through the indirect. You are going to get lots of suggestions by asking the opinion of people that have never been in your boiler room. The problem HAS to be simple, because it is a simple system. Do some troubleshooting.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 8:19 pm

How is the indirect receiving heat? Why is your indirect feeding the cold side of the mixing valve when it should be feeding the hot side?

mcguirehg

Post by mcguirehg » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 11:29 pm

The indirect is feeding the hot side of the mixing valve, it should be feeding with hot water, but apparently the indirect must have an issue if it's feeding it cold water to the hot side

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”