Simple Coal Shed Design

gerry_g
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: Electric, Propane

Post by gerry_g » Thu. Apr. 16, 2015 9:12 pm

I've had a nasty season with bagged coal being wet..

I have few dealers to pick from and all but one only sells Reading Bagged coal. At the same price I can get bulk coal delivered with a 2 ton minimum. This year's batch of bags were soaked with water, It seems to have been in the bags at Reading since my dealer stores it under cover and the bags were all well sealed.

My thought is I could order the coal early and let it dry.

Drying wet rice coal is a PITA. I wonder if there is an easy access coal shed design that will hold 3+ tons. Perhaps with a door with 2x6's I can remove as the coal level drops. Also, if I order bulk coal, the dealer uses a shoot that only can fill a bin 5' high. This 5' also prevents access to a shoot door I could put in the basement.

For filling, it would need to open the full width for the delivery shoot to swing. In nasty weather, I'd just like a normal size door with barriers I can lower/remove. Probably need to hold 3+ ton so I don't run out if I get the 2 ton bulk delivery.

Thoughts?

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Apr. 16, 2015 9:42 pm

8x10 or 8x12 shed, put a partition at the 5' mark, 4.5' high,this will hold a bit over 4 tons,you will still have room to walk into the shed ,close the door & fill your buckets out of the weather.You can do slats like we did,remove the bottom slat & shovel from the floor until the coal level drops way down then you remove all slats & walk into the bin to fill your buckets.

Attachments

018.JPG

slats can be removed from the bottom or top or~~~~

.JPG | 75.3KB | 018.JPG

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Apr. 16, 2015 9:56 pm

http://www.victorianrailways.net/infastuct/aa_fse ... s/f242.jpg

Google search images for "coal bin plans" you'll find a lot

gerry_g
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: Electric, Propane

Post by gerry_g » Sat. Apr. 25, 2015 9:04 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:8x10 or 8x12 shed, put a partition at the 5' mark, 4.5' high,this will hold a bit over 4 tons,you will still have room to walk into the shed ,close the door & fill your buckets out of the weather.You can do slats like we did,remove the bottom slat & shovel from the floor until the coal level drops way down then you remove all slats & walk into the bin to fill your buckets.
Thanks for the idea!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”