Researching Is a Pain in the Butt

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 3:20 pm

This searching for coal and stoves is so weird I've found one place that sells coal but no stoves three places that only sell Vermont Castings one coal model and all gave the same retail price of 1624.00 for it and none of them sell coal. Three dealers of Harman stoves TLC-2000 for 1549.00 and two out of the three don't sell coal and the one that does also sells the Morso model 1410 for about 1000 bucks. I only found them because they were listed in the yahoo yellow pages and I called them. They weren't on the dealer listing's web site. The only places that seem to have a full show room of coal stoves from different manufactures seem to be way up in Maine. And none of them have any of the coal model's up and running for people to see them in action, it's all those stupid pellet stoves running.

At this rate I should be done by next winter :?

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 3:41 pm

Take a ride to Pennsylvania and visit all the dealers, bring a trailer :D The best place top buy is from the source.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Personaly, I've never heard of a wood/coalstove store that does sell wood or coal. Kinda like trying to find a car dealership that sells gas! Just decide which stove you want & buy it from a dealer. The coal you should be able to find almost anywhere.

spc

Post by spc » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 5:40 pm

I bought my LL Pioneer at Cranston coal. They have a LL Hyfire that they use to heat their building. Not much of a showroom but they do have a few models on display. Selling coal is their main business. Quite a ride from northern Ma though.

BearKnot

Post by BearKnot » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi Adamiscold.

Not to feel like the Lone Ranger, I' feel your chill. :D

While going to visit our daughter in Buford, Ga. went to Cartersville, Ga. to see the, supposed, Harman dealer about a Magnum Stoker. When we pulled into the parking lot the wife like to fell out of the car laughing. :lol:

The store was vacant & the countertop covered in dust. She asked if I called them. Told her since it was on our way I saw no need to as the Harman website stated, the day before, that it was the closest shop to us. Is it unreasonable to expect that when a store goes out of business the mfgr update their website in a timely fashion? :o

And Harman isn’t the only mfgr that has a disconnect relationship problem with the interested coal burning public.
I’m presently waiting for a response to an e-mail, sent over two months ago, as to complete dimensions of a Channing III & their nearest rep store.

Have about concluded that coal heater mfgr's have more customers than they can either count or service. :roll:

However, I still have a 4 year supply of firewood that was cut, split, & stacked two years ago or I would be like you & getting a little nervous :!: :shock:

Good luck with it.

Rest assured that I will burn no anthracite before it's time.

Coal Jockey

Post by Coal Jockey » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 9:25 pm

"And Harman isn’t the only mfgr that has a disconnect relationship problem with the interested coal burning public.
I’m presently waiting for a response to an e-mail, sent over two months ago, as to ......."

I've found this sort of thing quite common with email inquiries. Frankly I think that companies get so much garbage email that they don't take seriously the legitimate email they receive. I sent a serious email over a week ago to Axeman Anderson and have received nothing in reply. If they were interested, I might be able to drop a nice order in their lap for a large institutional installation. As it is, if this is the sort of customer support one can expect, then it leaves much to be desired.

I sell coal, but not stoves. I have an understanding with a heating contractor who installs coal furnaces, I refer interested persons to them. I don't have the time or desire to sell stoves.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 9:30 pm

Axeman Anderson is still in the 1950's as far as doing business... they don't even take credit cards.. They ship parts COD.
If you want to get a response, you need to call them. That 's the only way I ever got a response.

Greg L

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 9:36 pm

Coal Jockey wrote: I've found this sort of thing quite common with email inquiries. Frankly I think that companies get so much garbage email that they don't take seriously the legitimate email they receive..
Actually it's quite easy to filter by using a web form such as I have. The email address is never revealed to the public so it never gets on spam list. Slight inconvenience to some people as they are used to using an email client.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 9:46 pm

I think what lsfarm meant was their mindset is still in the 1950's. They probably have the old black rotary telephone on the wall.
Touchtone, what are your fingers broke!
Just work with them in their own way and call them on the phone, you know the old fashioned way, like your folks did.

cheapheat

Post by cheapheat » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 9:50 pm

Hey Adam according to mapquest your only 353 miles and 6 short hours from Holden Coal in lovely Ovid New York. Thats where I bought my channing 3 and thats where I tell everyone to go. The sell everything but Hitzer and really know there business...they have bailed me out everytime I had a question with a quick phone call, They even sell bulk Blaschak coal too. Good luck Jim

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 9:53 pm

CapeCoaler,

You have a unique business in your back yard! "Riverway Cape Cod Dressing" of S. Yarmouth, ships when ordered and sends an invoice along with the shipment. It makes me proud to do business with them.

Coal Jockey

Post by Coal Jockey » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 9:56 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:I think what lsfarm meant was their mindset is still in the 1950's. They probably have the old black rotary telephone on the wall.
Touchtone, what are your fingers broke!
Just work with them in their own way and call them on the phone, you know the old fashioned way, like your folks did.
I understand them. I'm a little bit like that too. I have no website. I do have email and answer EVERY email. I take orders by phone, and prefer to speak directly when discussing details. I do however prefer letter/email format when asking complex questions that are not time sensitive - there is time for a non-verbal exchange at each other's leisure. I accept payment in cash or good cheque, no plastic, no credit. I return all telephone calls promptly, and all calls are routed to my cell so I can avoid the "phone tag" that annoys everyone...besides I'm never home and make 90% of my calls from the cellphone.

sandman

Post by sandman » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Adamiscold wrote:This searching for coal and stoves is so weird I've found one place that sells coal but no stoves three places that only sell Vermont Castings one coal model and all gave the same retail price of 1624.00 for it and none of them sell coal. Three dealers of Harman stoves TLC-2000 for 1549.00 and two out of the three don't sell coal and the one that does also sells the Morso model 1410 for about 1000 bucks. I only found them because they were listed in the yahoo yellow pages and I called them. They weren't on the dealer listing's web site. The only places that seem to have a full show room of coal stoves from different manufactures seem to be way up in Maine. And none of them have any of the coal model's up and running for people to see them in action, it's all those stupid pellet stoves running.

At this rate I should be done by next winter :?
check out
HEART LINE
ROUTE 137 NORTH
JAFFREY, NH 03452
603-532-4513

theve got a bunch of stoves. I bought my stoker boiler there (there first coal boiler sale)

they do mostly pellet stoves but have coal stoves and furnaces on the showroom floor.

jim

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 10:17 pm

Yes the Riverway was an institution along with their dressing. It used to be the place where the old folks,we called them "cotton heads", went. It was sold and remodeled to a more hip place but the dressing stayed, it was that good!

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Thu. Mar. 06, 2008 6:52 am

Devil5052 wrote:Personaly, I've never heard of a wood/coalstove store that does sell wood or coal. Kinda like trying to find a car dealership that sells gas! Just decide which stove you want & buy it from a dealer. The coal you should be able to find almost anywhere.
I've never asked a wood stove place about buying wood from them before but I know they sell pellets for their pellet stoves, it's just the ones around here don't carry coal for their coal stoves. One place FirePlace Village the guy told me he used to carry it but keeping up with all the different sizes wasn't worth the time and energy it took to do it.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”