Room Temperature 8-10 Degrees Higher Than Coal-Trol Thermostat Setting

etned

Post by etned » Sun. Mar. 22, 2015 12:37 pm

Neal,

I have a Leisure Line Pocono stoker with a TS2 thermostat. It seems that the stove is creating temps higher than the thermostat settings by 8-10 degrees,
I currently have all times to 68 degrees but the temperature readings on the thermostat is 77 degrees. It's been this way for a week or two and seems to be burning a lot of coal. I have just reduced the feed rates to 6 minimum & 40 maximum. The CFT is currently set to 8. I am in Syracuse so you know what the temperature changes have been. Does it sound like something might be wrong.
Thanks for any thoughts,
Ed

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Mar. 22, 2015 10:17 pm

What is FR rate value? FR is feed rate.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Mar. 23, 2015 2:46 pm

I have seen min #s set at 3 try lowering the min 1 at a time and see how small you can get the fire without going out. At 6 you still may be putting too much heat in the room with the mild temps.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Mar. 23, 2015 8:50 pm

Like he said, reduce your min down by 1 point at a time, and WAIT for an hour or more, If it's still too warm, try another 1 point lower, and wait till it evens out.
However, don't lower it too much to loose the fire OR your draft. Always keep an eye on your draft, and have a working CO detector (or two).!

Even at idle, it still can put out some heat depending on your heating situation. Check your FR (feed rate), it is it at Zero (0), then it's just the Idle/MIN settings above.

DO yo have another digital thermostat nearby, what is that reading? there is a way to calibrate the thermostat in the CoalTrol if it's off by a few degrees.

Make sure your thermostat is not blocked by anything, it has to have good air flow around/thru it.

Where is your thermostat located in regards to your stove?

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Sat. May. 16, 2015 3:18 pm

March and onward the temps and more direct sunlight on the houses can lead to very low heat loading. As suggesting try moving your MIN lower one point at a time and waiting an hour or two between. WNY is on the money with the CO detector. Make sure you have one and that it is working while doing this. If you have a natural draft chimney it is entirely possible to turn the MIN setting down low enough to make it not draft properly, especially with the warmer temps.

If it possible that even at your optimum MIN setting that it will not be able to crank down low enough to keep from overheating the house on the warmer days.

You can also try unplugging the Coal-trol for a few hours to make it reset, in case it somehow got stuck at a higher than desired feed rate.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. May. 17, 2015 7:41 am

Did you try a windowstat operation once a day? That is much simpler and easier to do :D

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”