COAL VAC... Prototype

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Fri. Jan. 08, 2016 7:48 am

**Broken Link(S) Removed**

here is the vacume you guys need for your coal moving projects :woot:

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Jan. 08, 2016 10:14 am

I prefer the silver motif!! And less travel time for me too - Who knew there would be a choice!

**Broken Link(S) Removed**

buzzber67
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker
Coal Size/Type: mostly rice, sometimes buckwheat

Post by buzzber67 » Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Both LU47Dan and McGiever have got me thinking in a slightly different direction now. Thanks, guys.
I am thinking of a flexible hose pickup of rice coal (and dust) into a Dust Deputy sitting on top of my current shop vac tank(which is sitting above my hopper now). The deputy would be installed in a lid , which I have to make. The existing top/motor/etc of the vac is removed. The coal & dust goes through the input to the deputy, and all settles into the tank. The air output of the deputy goes into another shop vac at ground level. I hope it would work as well as my current simple system, without the filter clogging that starts slowly and gets steadily worse over several uses.
One difference is that all the coal going through the deputy (plastic), and how well it would hold up, and would the coal flow without jamming. Also, it uses the smaller size hose, unlike my current larger system. I do not think the dust going into the hopper (with the coal) makes any difference, since it did that all those years I hand-shoveled. It should just burn with the rest.
My current rig works well, within limits. It clogs the filter after several uses, suction drops off, and I need to change the filter. It is a little messy to change, with the fine black dust falling out with the slightest bump. Also it is high above the hopper. I also notice the difference in lift. With a clean filter, I can vacuum from the bottom of the bin on the far side, full power. As it clogs, I can move coal from the top of the pile, but not the bottom. Changing the filter, if needed, is a lot easier at ground level. Of course, the goal here is not having to change the filer at all !!!
McGiever wrote:
Lu47Dan wrote: Build a new hopper to replace the vacuum, patch the hole in the bottom or add a cap to seal the WC flange. Than move the vacuum down to floor level and add a dust deputy to it to remove some of the dust before it gets to the vacuums filter. If you are loading the coal directly into the vacuum than you can not separate the dust from the coal. Plus the vacuum being on the floor makes changing the filter a lot less work.

Glad to see it works well for you.
Dan.
buzzber67,
Just like *lu47Dan* was saying earlier, put the whole vac on the floor. :idea: Add a length of hose and Use a simple $23.68 18 in. x 22 in. Sump Pump Basin for the drop container into the hopper. :idea:
There is a bigger one for mo money.
When vac is on the floor you can add the dust deputy in-line before the vac and your filter stays clean as all the dust gets dropped out in the dust deputy.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-18-in-x-22-in ... /204733081

http://www.oneida-air.com/static.asp?htmltemplate ... works.html

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”