Coaltrol Zoning?

mariohotshot

Post by mariohotshot » Sun. Nov. 30, 2014 9:18 am

I have a keystoker 90 that is hooked up with my forced air furnace duct work. My home is a duplex. The stove is on the first floor and the coaltrol is on the second floor. My problem is it's only one zone. The temperature varies which floor gets hotter. Sometimes the first floor gets hotter, sometimes the second floor gets hotter. This all depends what contributes the triggering of the coaltrol.
I'm thinking of buying a simple zone damper that works off a thermostat (not for heat calling) just to modulate the temperature on one of the floors. My question is : which floor should be zoned? first or second floor? Where should I put the coaltrol and the thermostat for the zoned damper?
Thanks in advance with any comments!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Nov. 30, 2014 10:39 am

HOw do have it tied it? do you have a duct off the keystoker? is the top of the stove blocked off, or does the air just blow in both directions.

I blocked my top vent off so all the warmer air goes thru the 8" duct upstairs I put on the top of the stove. the radient heat from the sides heats the area of the stove ok. my thermostat is upstairs where the heat comes up. it works pretty good.

You could put damper on it, manual or automatic depending on how you want to control it. I would put the CoalTrol Thermostat where you want to maintain the temperature.

mariohotshot

Post by mariohotshot » Sun. Nov. 30, 2014 10:51 am

I have an 8'' duct off the top of the stove going into the return of my central air furnace duct work. The duct work divides into two paths, one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

Attachments

coaltrol layout.png
.PNG | 11.3KB | coaltrol layout.png

mariohotshot

Post by mariohotshot » Mon. Dec. 01, 2014 9:42 am

I spoke with some HVAC guys and they suggested: adding a zone damper on the second floor branch with its own thermostat.
Relocate the Coaltrol to the coolest area on the first floor, keeping the fire burning. Because heat rises, the thermostat will be satisfied on the second floor so the zone damper will close allowing more air flow on the first floor and reaching the coaltrol. This should balance the temperature throughout the home. How does this sound?

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”