Questions on SWG Venter

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 12:51 pm

My son wants to leave the world of oil heating and start burning coal. They can't afford to heat with oil any longer and since we live in the heart of the southern anthracite coal region it makes sense.

I have an old C&D stoker that I have rebuilt and ready to start installing once I do some sheet metal work on the hopper. It is rated somewhere around 70K and burns rice coal. Their chimney is not conducive to putting a coal stove to it so I was going to put in an SWG-4HD power venter. The stove outlet is 6" but I can reduce it for the 4" to the venter. That's not the deal.

Do I need a control kit to go with this thing and if so which one? If I don't get a control kit what do I control this puppy with? A properly rated rheostate? I've never done a PV before hence the questions.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 1:45 pm

I can't tell you what to get, but I can tel;l you what I would like to see on the installation. It's bad enough that the venter has to run 24/7 which is hard on any motor. I am concerned with safety so would insist on some sort of device to sense draft or at a minimum to sense the overheating of the stack with draft failure and shut down the unit.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Larry,

When my kid wanted to put a Keystoker in his house, we had no alternative but to use a PV.

That was when I joined this forum looking for answers. Go search some of my first posts made. The good folks here never led me astray. I went to Jerry and Karen's store and bought the entire PV kit from them. It came with the fume switch, rheostat, and all necessary instructions.

I do believe you should (must) use a fume switch (WMO-1) as a safety precaution in case something affects PV unit so as to not draw the fumes out of the stove. Imagine that happening at 0300 and no one knowing the stove is burning with no way to remove the fumes ????

And of course you need a rheostat to regulate the speed to set the draft properly.

Rick

BigJohn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer X2
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BigJohn » Thu. Nov. 20, 2014 2:13 pm

Larry, Only power vent a flat grate stoker. A pot type stoker will burn too long after fume switch activates.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”